Interface improvement idea :: Toolbox changes

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Interface improvement idea :: Toolbox changes

Post by Pierre-Luc_Auclair »

I had this idea:

What do think about it ? I'm sure it would be a lot faster than keeping on switching with the mouse or the keyboard, and personally I feel that the ctrl+tab switch is hard to access, in that it's not a natural move.
Last edited by Pierre-Luc_Auclair on Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

ctrl-tab is a little awkward, and in essence I like your idea, not sure about your mockup :wink: I'll get back with my own mockup.

Edit: This was mostly for fun:) A little inspired by the new UI.

Here's how I was thinking:

Your proposal looked a little crowded, raising some concerns when you're supposed to make a "quickpick", so I figured edit-modes should be clearly separated from toolbox-menus, so as to not envoke a menu accidentally. Also, toolbox-menus should all be at equal distance from edit-modes, thus a "flower-menu" ("Pie" seems to be the popular name), where edit-modes are at the center.
Last edited by Bellorum on Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Post by Pierre-Luc_Auclair »

I gotta say I like yours a lot more. Reminds me of some of the menus in maya, but prettier.

Sounds good to me.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

Glad you liked it:) I couldn't sleep anyways:P
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

Blendorphin

Post by Blendorphin »

I definitely agree that the toolbox needs work, but that's a whole 'nother project :)

anyways, i think the fastest way would to have ctrl-tab *cycle* through the modes, rather than presenting you with a popup. That way you can quickly change modes. The toolbox idea is nice, however you still will have to click on a choice rather than just quickly cycle through it.

just my idea :)

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

however you still will have to click on a choice rather than just quickly cycle through it.
Not necessarily. As it is now, yes. However, if you are required to hold down the spacebar until you have selected a menu, you could, like Pierre-Luc proposed just press space, swiftly shift mouseposition and release, without any mouseclicks involved. This would, in my opinion be even faster than cycling. If the mouse always originate in the absolute center, you'd just have to move slightly left, release space for vertex-mode. Right for face-mode, and just release for edge-mode. Also, your left hand would require less movement (if you usually ctrl-tab with thumb/index like me), since you could switch edit-modes with your thumb, while other hotkeys are easily reachable with other fingers. This is, I think, very streamlined and intuitive.
Last edited by Bellorum on Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joeri

Post by joeri »

I like it, but have a point of (friendly, really) critic.
Shouldn't the pie have 8 parts? :)

I like the idea of small left- is vertex edit and big left- is something else.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

Shouldn't the pie have 8 parts?
Only the pies in your parts :wink:

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam »

i like the pie idea, i am not sure how the bigger menus would come out of it, but I like the idea.

joeri

PIE

Post by joeri »

Today I'm going to bother you guys with this:

The BLAYA pie, it's my birthday today so I thought I'd hand out some pie.

Move the mouse to hilite basic options

Press LeftMouseButton to pop the popup menus.

Move the mouse to a sector. There are 4 sectors North, East, South & West.
Press and hold LeftMouseButton.
Draw with LeftMouseButton outside the wheel. and release to select. If you are fast the menu would even show.

Some examples for other sectors.

The center is a special case, it's mode dependant (they all can be).

Ofcourse none of the buttons are hardcode. They are all defined in a script with the apropriate python commands so the user can make it's own settings.

halibut

Post by halibut »

I think blender should do something like this:

http://www.radialthinking.de/radialcont ... shots.html

It is a brilliant plugin for mozilla. It would be hard to make icons for blender like this, but I believe it would be possible with text too.
The good thing about this system would be if: space + hold space + drag activated a function (much like mouse gestures), but also, space + let go of space, opens the pie menu and alows the user to click/open menus etc etc as normal.

I think this is the best of both worlds, as many don't like mouse gestures.

indigomonkey

Post by indigomonkey »

It looks good, but does all this depend on the capability of OpenGL? I'm sorry, I don't have much knowledge of it.

joeri

Post by joeri »

halibut wrote: I think this is the best of both worlds, as many don't like mouse gestures.
Many don't like blender mouse gestures or mouse gestures?
I find the blender gestures a bit silly, specialy the scale.

The drag is a chooice for less clicking.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

Happy birthday, Joeri!:)

About your proposal, I find it a little cluttered looking. I do like this:

Draw with LeftMouseButton outside the wheel. and release to select.

joeri

Post by joeri »

Bellorum wrote: About your proposal, I find it a little cluttered looking.
Yeah. But it's not about the looks ( I used tupuhuu buttons ), it's about fast selection with little-to-no mouse movements and click.
Last edited by joeri on Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.