Interface improvement idea :: Toolbox changes

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

Yeah, I get you. But it's not about the buttons themselves. Maybe I just have to try it in realtime, cause my first impression is not less clicking.
Last edited by Bellorum on Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

joeri

Post by joeri »

Bellorum wrote:Yeah, I get you. Maybe I just have to try it in realtime, cause my first impression is not less clicking.
You are right. On some parts is same amount of clicks and only less mouse movement. But with a clever pop-up set it's easier to work full screen, you'll only get an interface when you ask for it (also the case with current toolbox, but less obvious).

Maybe this a good idea, all functions in a list, with a mayor grouping on the left.

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- »

what I like with pies menu that i don't find in your proposal, joeri, is that when you get used you don't have to read the menus anymore. You pick the right direction, and hop, hop, hop you get the tool that you want. They are like mouse gestures, but with real time indications. Menu lists aren't as effective I think.
I really like the look and feel of the 'Flower Menu' with the direct access to the select modes.

halibut

Post by halibut »

-efbie- wrote:what I like with pies menu that i don't find in your proposal, joeri, is that when you get used you don't have to read the menus anymore. You pick the right direction, and hop, hop, hop you get the tool that you want. They are like mouse gestures, but with real time indications. Menu lists aren't as effective I think.
I really like the look and feel of the 'Flower Menu' with the direct access to the select modes.
This is just like that mozilla plugin I posted before.

Only after about 0.5 seconds do the actual menu names come up. If you move fast enough, it is pretty much just mouse gestures.

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Post by Pierre-Luc_Auclair »

I don't really like you proposal joeri. To me it looks a bit cluttered. My original idea was to eliminate the clicks from the toolbox and add the fastest way to change betweem the modes.

What I see is that you simply take everything in blender and put it in the toolbox.

Browsing through menus for features easily accessible via keyboard shortcuts is just a waste of time to me.

Really, I don't want to impose my idea, but I really think that the hold'n'release way is the best.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

when you get used you don't have to read the menus anymore. You pick the right direction, and hop, hop, hop you get the tool that you want.
Exactly. That's why Pierre Luc's idea is so spiffy.
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Bellorum wrote:
when you get used you don't have to read the menus anymore. You pick the right direction, and hop, hop, hop you get the tool that you want.
Exactly. That's why Pierre Luc's idea is so spiffy.
Thanks, I'm sketching out a new interface in illustrator, I'll be done in a few minutes. I'll try to incorporate some of jeori's content, let's see what I can pull out of this.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

But with a clever pop-up set it's easier to work full screen, you'll only get an interface when you ask for it
Hmm. How about a special extended popup-toolbox that'll only appears when in fullscreen-mode?

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Bellorum wrote: Hmm. How about a special extended popup-toolbox that'll only appears when in fullscreen-mode?
Sounds good to me.

What if there was different fast switch icons on different modes.

A little presentation, i didn't put everything in:

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

Looks sweet :) Much prettier than my version (I need to get Illustrator) ;) And shows off the concept beautifully. I love how the edit-button just expands into a menu, instead of triggering a new one outside it. Less mousemovement necessary.

ada89

Post by ada89 »

Bellorum wrote:Looks sweet :) Much prettier than my version (I need to get Illustrator) ;) And shows off the concept beautifully. I love how the edit-button just expands into a menu, instead of triggering a new one outside it. Less mousemovement necessary.
..and no mouse click :P

Eternl_Knight

Post by Eternl_Knight »

I must say that Pierre's idea appeals to me alot

joeri

Post by joeri »

I don't like the clutter remarks. I used blender buttons on a real 3d scene, not a nice shiny new design on a clear bright blue.
And I stated it was about the functionality.
The functionality is not mine, it's Maya. It's okay to me if you don't like that functionality. What I don't get about Pierre-Luc_Auclair's idea is how you don't need the menu to pop-up. In the Maya design all new items pop in a wind sector. Click and hold north, drag East and you got a function.
This makes up to 4x8 functions without reading or menu popping.

I don't see this in Pierre-Luc_Auclair's example. I see a long list, I need to watch and manouver my mouse over carefully to get to the right selection.

The Maya idea brings back all buttons in a pop-up yes, just like blender used to have (1.74) which is handy in fullscreen and was very handy to learn the hotkeys.

Anyway... My birthday is over, if you don't like my pie, I'll eat it myself.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

I don't like the clutter remarks. I used blender buttons on a real 3d scene, not a nice shiny new design on a clear bright blue.
And that makes no difference whatsoever. There's way too much buttons overlapping in the toolbox itself in your proposal. But maybe it's an acquired taste.

joeri

Post by joeri »

Bellorum wrote:
And that makes no difference whatsoever. There's way too much buttons overlapping in the toolbox itself in your proposal. But maybe it's an acquired taste.
The overlapping is something easy to overcome.
For example by removing the main popup buttons if the user clicks in a sector. It's the location idea that counts. Broken can always make something beatifull with the buttons, drawtypes, transparancy, icons etc.
It's a conceptial idea, and you need to look truw the graphical implementation. Usability is also (in my opinion mostly) about functional design, not only graphical design.