turntable -- feature request

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

rednelb

turntable -- feature request

Post by rednelb »

hi,
sorry for bringing this up again but please could we have an option for forcing the z axis to point always straight up? thanks in advance for any help.

Crafty

Post by Crafty »

I would also like to see this.

halibut

Post by halibut »

Whilst I wouldn't use this, please someone implement it! All the people (only 2) I have sat down and showed how to use blender have asked how they do this.

joeri

Post by joeri »

I think it's the Y ax you want up.

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam »

good for me too.

aligorith

Post by aligorith »

Hmm..

somewhere I read that using turntable as the way to rotate the scene meant that it rotated around one axis. However, when I tried it (2.33 - 2.36) it does exactly the same thing the other mode does (at least visually)

halibut

Post by halibut »

aligorith wrote:Hmm..

somewhere I read that using turntable as the way to rotate the scene meant that it rotated around one axis. However, when I tried it (2.33 - 2.36) it does exactly the same thing the other mode does (at least visually)
It is a different sort of turntable :p

It is however a different mode, try dragging along top and bottom of screen in each mode and you will see what I mean.

makeshiftwings

Post by makeshiftwings »

Hi, I've been asking for this in blender for a long time, and just came back to this forum to make a post about it. Luckily this one's already here. It seems like it would be a simple thing to implement. See modelers like Wings, Milkshape, Nendo, and I believe 3dsmax to see what we mean. It's basically the same view as in a first person game; there is no camera roll on the z axis. And yes, it's the Y axis you want always pointing up. If anyone's familiar enough with the blender code to point me in the right direction, I can try to patch it myself, but last time I tried to look through it I was hopelessly lost.

makeshiftwings

Post by makeshiftwings »

aligorith wrote:Hmm..

I said that back in my post and got flamed until the post was locked. There is a difference, if you're dragging from certain edges. But it definitely doesn't act like any turntable I've ever seen. If there was either a "lock y axis" checkbox or just another mode, like "first person", it would solve the NUMBER ONE thing stopping me from using blender regularly. The camera roll just annoys me to no end.

halibut

Post by halibut »

makeshiftwings wrote: It's basically the same view as in a first person game; there is no camera roll on the z axis. And yes, it's the Y axis you want always pointing up.
Blenders axis are all the wrong way round :)

z points upwards, so you want the z always pointing up?

And only be able to rotate around z and y, but not x? (I am confused now)

rednelb

Post by rednelb »

halibut wrote:
makeshiftwings wrote: It's basically the same view as in a first person game; there is no camera roll on the z axis. And yes, it's the Y axis you want always pointing up.

in terms of pitch, yaw and roll i would like to be able to change only the first two.
or, i would like not to change the rotation angle about the camera axis (ie its direction).

rednelb

Post by rednelb »

makeshiftwings

Post by makeshiftwings »

rednelb wrote:
halibut wrote:

in terms of pitch, yaw and roll i would like to be able to change only the first two.
or, i would like not to change the rotation angle about the camera axis (ie its direction).
Huh... I wasn't aware that Bledner's Z axis points up. That's also kindof confusing. But yes, I want the same thing rednelb is saying; no roll, just pitch and yaw. So if it's Z that points up then yes, constant Z, and no roll around the view/camera local Y axis, assuming local Y points "in". It sounds more complicated than it is. Like I said, to get an idea, download Wings or Milkshape3d, or the Zbrush demo, or try almost any game editor.

makeshiftwings

Post by makeshiftwings »

Also, if it helps anyone, here's some code from a 3d engine on how it's done. This is for when you yaw the camera (drag the mouse left or right in blender). Note that this uses the normal coordinate system of Y pointing up and Z pointing in, so in Blender if Z is up and Y is in, you would need to use Z wherever it says Y below.

void Camera::yaw(const Radian& angle)
{
Vector3 yAxis;

if (mYawFixed)
{
// Rotate around fixed yaw axis. Usually Vector3::UNIT_Y.
yAxis = mYawFixedAxis;
}
else
{
// Rotate around local Y axis
yAxis = mOrientation * Vector3::UNIT_Y;
}

rotate(yAxis, angle);
}

halibut

Post by halibut »

makeshiftwings wrote:
rednelb wrote:
halibut wrote: Blenders axis are all the wrong way round :)

Huh... I wasn't aware that Bledner's Z axis points up. That's also kindof confusing. But yes, I want the same thing rednelb is saying; no roll, just pitch and yaw. So if it's Z that points up then yes, constant Z, and no roll around the view/camera local Y axis, assuming local Y points "in". It sounds more complicated than it is. Like I said, to get an idea, download Wings or Milkshape3d, or the Zbrush demo, or try almost any game editor.
There is some reason for this which has escaped me now!

This is why often when exporting to another program, all of the meshes appear rotated 90º