turntable -- feature request

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

joeri

Post by joeri »

2 words: [shift-F] [space].

Or is this about the viewport and not the camera?

Another thingy: The Camera has it's Y up in a world where Z is up.

makeshiftwings

Post by makeshiftwings »

The viewport, not the camera. Also, I don't want to have to push lots of buttons all the time to reset the view and stop it from tilting. People have suggessted those things before. I just want it to stay straight, like all the other 3d modellers I've used. I know it seems petty to people who have used belnder for a long time, but for those of us who have used many other 3d modellers and are trying to get into blender, it really is a big deal.

joeri

Post by joeri »

It was just a hint on where to find the auto-up in the code.
I'm not going into discussion on other modellers having other methods.

(saying that it's a big deal sounds to me as if it's better. If it's worse then how come it's such a big deal?)
Last edited by joeri on Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

makeshiftwings

Post by makeshiftwings »

joeri wrote:It was just a hint on where to find the auto-up in the code.
I'm not going into discussion on other modellers being so much better.
I didn't say they were better; just that they all have fixed y-axes when viewing.

makeshiftwings

Post by makeshiftwings »

...bump.

Sorry if I came off sounding rude int he earlier posts :(

But please, please, please consider adding this!

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Post by Pierre-Luc_Auclair »

While we're at it why not dive deeper in the subject.

I suggest adding a rotate around selected element turntable option. There could be a toggle on the viewport bar. In editmode you would rotate around the center of your selection, or when deselected around the object center. In non edit mode if activated it would rotate around the selected objec center or if nothing is selected it would rorate normally.

halibut

Post by halibut »

Pierre-Luc_Auclair wrote:While we're at it why not dive deeper in the subject.

I suggest adding a rotate around selected element turntable option. There could be a toggle on the viewport bar. In editmode you would rotate around the center of your selection, or when deselected around the object center. In non edit mode if activated it would rotate around the selected objec center or if nothing is selected it would rorate normally.
Press the numpad del key whilst a vert is selected?

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Post by Pierre-Luc_Auclair »

Kinda but not exactly. Didn't know this one. Thanks for the tip.

Is it only me or a lot of features ain't documented ?

makeshiftwings

Post by makeshiftwings »

Just thought I'd bump this one more time. I've tried to implement it myself but I'm very unfamiliar with the blender code and can't seem to get it to compile. It seems like a fairly simple thing to implement; please, anyone, have mercy on us 3DSMax users!

Caronte

Re: turntable -- feature request

Post by Caronte »

rednelb wrote:hi,
sorry for bringing this up again but please could we have an option for forcing the z axis to point always straight up? thanks in advance for any help.
I think it whould be a nice feature.
Caronte.
"Some Day, All Will Be Digital"
http://www.nicodigital.com

theeth

Post by theeth »

Ctrl-Alt-MouseWheel

Just try it.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Caronte

Post by Caronte »

theeth wrote:Ctrl-Alt-MouseWheel

Just try it.

Martin
Good, but limited to one axis and "step by step" by the MouseWheel.
Caronte.
"Some Day, All Will Be Digital"
http://www.nicodigital.com

mongrol

Post by mongrol »

I too would like this added. Either of the two current modes drive me nuts and sometimes when intricately examining a model I get in such a mess with the viewport I have to reset. It's frustrating and its good to see others voicing on this issue. The two current modes seem so similar as well and both as equally as difficult to control.

makeshiftwings

Post by makeshiftwings »

Caronte wrote:
theeth wrote:Ctrl-Alt-MouseWheel

Just try it.

Martin
Good, but limited to one axis and "step by step" by the MouseWheel.
I agree; this isn't at all what I want. It's clunky, only works on one axis, and is really unintuitive.

I was happy a year or so ago when I saw the announcment that blender was finally giving in and changing some of its "unique" interface design points to become more accessible to users of other 3D apps, but it still seems like there are a lot of people who just deride or brush off requests for things that are standard in every other 3D program out there. I'm not saying that Blender needs to become a clone of 3DSMax or Maya, but there are quite a few small additions that could be made that would make life much, much easier for those of us trying to make the switch. I don't see why there's so much resistance to it.

dgebel

Post by dgebel »

I've never actually been figure out how the turntable option makes a difference. What is ctrl-alt mousewheel supposed to do? It just zooms in my default setup (Win-2.36)

I love the way you can spin around any axis so easily in fact. Most others that I've seen you have to go somewhere to click on a button or gadget to switch to 'move the viewport' rather than using a gesture.

If you want to keep the spin even, isn't starting the spin with the mouse in the middle of the window the same thing? You can use the Num keys if you need to keep it exact, although I guess that's just from the viewport point of view.

ALT-MMB might be a good key for this functionality if somebody does do it. Ctrl for zoom, Shift for move, and add Alt for Rotate - doesn't seem to do anything now.