New material option - multiplexor

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

guitargeek

New material option - multiplexor

Post by guitargeek »

I was thinking about a simple way to make the current material system more powerful.

The idea goes like this

From the Material tab, you would select an option to make the material a multiplexor instead of a normal material then you would get a screen like this

http://guitargeek.superihost.com/dropbo ... erial2.jpg

Where you would select other materials and the method by which to combine them. You would also have the ability to move them up and down the stack.You would also add a % transparency to each material as well.

Then when the renderer went to get the material it would get each material and do the combination as specified and return the result.

I have taken a peek at the code and it seems that this would not be impossible. What are thoughts on this?

hanspb

Post by hanspb »

Your image doesn't show, and the link sends me to www.100webspace.com, the front page of a web hosting service.

:?:
Hans Petter

loos

Copy and Paste the link

Post by loos »

If you copy the link and paste it in a new tab/window it seems to work okay (just clicking on it got me the web host too).

This sounds like a small part of making a shader tree/Renderman shader network. I've heard that Ton is planning on taking the internal renderer and externalizing it so as to make it easier for other renderers to work with Blender. Has anyone heard any info on this (besides that they're talking about it), and how it would affect the possibilities of having a shader-network creating type thing?

Thanks,

Brad

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek »

Sorry about the image nonsense. Yes, I believe that is in the future plan, but not for a while iirc. This would be more like a baby step in that direction since I don't think the code would be *too* hard to implement. I of course could be wrong on this. I have started to dissect the relavent code and am coming up with ideas. I needed a project to get back into and this one looks like it could be fun and useful.