Concerning 3d Text

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

hello

Concerning 3d Text

Post by hello »

I'm sure many people don't use the 3d text feature for anything long, but I still don't understand why it has to have a limit to how many characters can be entered. If the amount of characters allowed could be increased, it would help a small few and doesn't seem like it should be too hard to change.

Also, the way that 3d text is handled could be better... maybe being able to directly convert to a mesh in a manner that the front/back of each letter is attached to the sides.

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Post by Pierre-Luc_Auclair »

Why exactly do you need that much text in 3d ?

Are you displaying full text in 3D ?

joeri

Post by joeri »

Remove doubles can take away the double verteces. But you will get smooth problems from front to side. Also you can turn off side and backsides when converting from curves to polys. I'm assuming you want to export the text, otherwise better to leave the text as curves.

halibut

Post by halibut »

Elefont is a good free program to do text meshes (any font, lots of options), and can export to blender.

http://www.armanisoft.ch/webdesign/elefont/Elefont.html

hello

Post by hello »

Yah, I usually use Blender for credits so it requires a lot of text. I'll check out the elefont thing too. Thanks.

joeri

Post by joeri »

I used to use multiple objects and parent them to the top one.

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Post by Pierre-Luc_Auclair »

You'd be better creating a very large bitmap with the credits on them. I'm sure it would render a lot faster too.

stiv

Post by stiv »

You all know about the ALT-M trick to convert an entire TextEditor buffer into a single Font object, right? Nice for credits.

joeri

Post by joeri »

Pierre-Luc_Auclair wrote:You'd be better creating a very large bitmap with the credits on them. I'm sure it would render a lot faster too.
This is a joke right? To use a 3d program to render a 2d bitmap move?

halibut

Post by halibut »

joeri wrote:
Pierre-Luc_Auclair wrote:You'd be better creating a very large bitmap with the credits on them. I'm sure it would render a lot faster too.
This is a joke right? To use a 3d program to render a 2d bitmap move?
Like star wars :D