Preset IOR values at your fingertips

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

BogdanOancea

Preset IOR values at your fingertips

Post by BogdanOancea » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:35 pm

Who among us merely mortals remembers by rote the different IOR values for so many transparent materials known to man? Only 1,52 (ok, 1,51714) comes to mind for most of us (glass). What about a simple pop-up menu with many preset IOR values, directly selectable at your fingertips, right there in the Mirror Transparency tab? This would make Blender better and friendlier than other programs I know, and it would reduce beginners' anxiety.

Bogdan

joeri

Post by joeri » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:12 pm

Some 3d software has material presets. I hear designers here where I work use them all the time and make decent renderings at fair speed.
Blender has this functionality, it's hidden in the lib-link or lib-append system. What is lacking is a lib that goes with the releases.
Maybe the system could be visualy enhanced with a thumb preview or so, but the basic preset system is there. The lib link system has a second advantage over IOR presets; It presets everything: Not only materials but also primitives, animations, everything (almost). Once again; what's lacking is the lib, at least that's how I look at it.

BogdanOancea

Post by BogdanOancea » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:54 am

About material presets: of course everybody would feel better if the Blender gurus will "ship" the program with a few ready-made materials with the "right" parameters where possible (the difficult ones, like the reflective & refractive ones).

Otherwise, I have to decipher what you're saying, because I'm not a programmer & I don't know the programmers' "lingo". (Oh no, not another one!)

(Btw, I have another proposal, but I'm so unused to forums that I couldn't post it yet, 'cause I didn't figure out how to "append" an image to the text.)

But, if I'm not wrong, you're saying that this IOR presets proposal isn't difficult to code, but it needs a "lib(rary)", I suppose. Well, if somebody does the code for this "lib" thing, I will be more than happy to put together and suply a looong list of IOR presets. And if someday Blender will sport photometric lights, a similar pop-up menu with presets (60 W, 75W, 100W) would be appropriate.

IOR presets wouldn't hurt. And excuse me if I misunderstood something.

Best regards
Bogdan

joeri

Post by joeri » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:53 pm

I didn't use any programmers lingo, I used normal blender words.

Let's turn it around, if you make the blender files with the right settings, then I'll make the blender lib file and explain how to use blender features that are already there to comply with your request.

Maybe you could start reading the manual on page
http://www.blender.org/modules/document ... x2059.html
to see how the lib system works.
As I said, it does not make a popup, but it does allow 80W, 250W & 500W.

BogdanOancea

Post by BogdanOancea » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:24 pm

I read the text from the above link, and I knew the appending routine, and just found about the linking possibility.

Anyway, I have a Blender scene containing a couple of transparent material spheres with different IOR values.
Should I send it to you? Or post it? Is it worth?

Bogdan

homebody

It would be really convenient

Post by homebody » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:41 pm

It would be really convenient if blender automatically scan a certain directory and make all materials in there appear in a 'presets' menu. If we can have a directory, every one can release libraries beside the official lib (if there will be one).

Oh, the thumb nail preview function will be fantastic :D

mchs3d

Post by mchs3d » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:13 am

What you are saying is very interesting. I will post this on the bf-committers mailing list. In the meantime I may program a sample preset IOR patch.

mchs3d

Post by mchs3d » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:32 am

Ok, here's what I'll do. I will make an option under the material context in which you can save a custom material PERMANENTLY or retrieve custom materials already made.

joeri

Post by joeri » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:27 pm

Sounds good.
Will this be material only?

mchs3d

Post by mchs3d » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:40 am

For now :?

Inktvlek

Post by Inktvlek » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:42 pm

I made this mockup:

It works like this (although I think it should be pretty much self explaining): When setting the IOR, the user can press the button behind it, which pops up a list of 'standard' refraction materials. When the user selects one of these materials, the value gets changed according to that preset.
I have left out the "add new" button on purpose, because there's no room (and no point I guess) to give the IOR a name. It doesn't really matter, because these presets should give the user a nice framework to work from; after all the user can still change the value after it's been set with one of the presets.

I think this is very useful, although it should be clear that it just affects the IOR value, and it is not a material preset > that's a completely different approach (working from a database with material presets), which doesn't fit in Blender.

I think there may be a market for a 'dummy-blender', with all the features most people that are used to blender dislike, but some newbies would love to have, like save on exit, LMB <>RMB etc.