please remove Blender logo from the User Preferences Panel.

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

SteveMcCloud

please remove Blender logo from the User Preferences Panel.

Post by SteveMcCloud » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:22 am

The Blender logo from the User Preferences Panel.
This really has no use at all, and it only annoys me.
sure it's cute, but it gets in the way.

many programs have been guilty of this, (advertising inside the program) but i wouldn't expect Blender to be one of those programs.

stiv

Post by stiv » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:27 pm

Tear a little piece from a sticky (Post-It style ) note and paste it over your monitor to hide the logo. Out of sight, out of mind.

Make sure not to hide the version number, though.

levon

Post by levon » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:37 pm

its not advertising, its the button you press to get the splash screen, which can be useful cause it also has the build date

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:29 pm

and the text "www.blender.nl 225" or "www.blender.org 236" is used as a progress bar [used in some python scripts and some blender functions]

harkyman

Post by harkyman » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:22 am

Shameless.

slikdigit

Post by slikdigit » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:07 am

perhaps instead of the blender logo, it should say "Luxorosity 3D suite" ;) :P

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:22 am

its the button you press to get the splash screen, which can be useful cause it also has the build date
Heh. I actually didn't know that:)
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

sten

Post by sten » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:49 pm

slikdigit wrote:perhaps instead of the blender logo, it should say "Luxorosity 3D suite" ;) :P
LMAO :lol:

halibut

Post by halibut » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:39 pm

ztonzy wrote:
slikdigit wrote:perhaps instead of the blender logo, it should say "Luxorosity 3D suite" ;) :P
LMAO :lol:
Rofl -

I think it is ok to have this logo here though, means all screenshots have the name of the program on, and seriously, it hardly takes up many pixels (unless you are at a low res). Still, a request for it to be optional is fair enough and I would probably hide it if the option was there.

dcuny

Post by dcuny » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:33 am

It seems to me that this is a reasonable request, but from reading the responses, it doesn't seem to be treated that way.

The "functionality" of the icon is rather obscure (Bellorum didn't even know about it), and you can get the same result from going to the Help menu and choosing "About Blender...", so there's no compelling need for it. The icon typically appears in the window menu bar anyway.

With the logo removed, you'd still be able to use the text area as a status bar.

So why not treat this as a real request instead of belittling it?

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:38 am

I like that icon and i don't want it to be removed. this was my 2cent personal opinion on this subject.

slikdigit

Post by slikdigit » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:23 am

It's not a reasonable request.
Why the hell shouldn't the devs "advertise" in the app? they should be rightfully proud of their baby, and want to promote it. For a free app this is even more important; people may come across an app in their distro or installed on a pc, and want to know where it came from, how to use it, where support/docs are. Would you deny them this?
I can only think of two reasons for the request: One is from some interface minimalists who don't want to "confuse" the user. Confuse them with what? they see the app name and version, they know what to complain about if something crashes. The second possible reason is from some unscrupulous "rebrander" who is not smart enough to hack the source and change it to say whatever they want. And in this case, I don't see why the bf should help them.

dandeloreon1984

Post by dandeloreon1984 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:36 am

after looking over it, here is all i haft to say on this subject.

1: this is harmless, and it really does not matter.
2: when you put the blender window to full screen, you don't have the upper left hand corner one to look at.
3:i don't see any reason to remove it... it's been there the whole time blender was in existanse, so why change it.
4: it is not in the way for most systems, and that is yet another reason to not remove it... its' a filler item.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:45 am

dcuny wrote:The "functionality" of the icon is rather obscure (Bellorum didn't even know about it), and you can get the same result from going to the Help menu and choosing "About Blender...", so there's no compelling need for it. The icon typically appears in the window menu bar anyway.
the help menu is new... well, the old interface didn't have it

blender doesn't show window borders by default on all systems

the icon isn't there on all systems

the title isn't there on all systems

the version isn't part of the title bar, neither is the blender website

it REALLY isn't that much space, but I guess perhaps it wouldn't be too much to ask to have it minimized with the menus, and use the info header as a progress bar instead of the "www.blender.org 2.36" region

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:33 am

dcuny wrote:So why not treat this as a real request instead of belittling it?
Probably because that logo is a part of Blender history, and many people have a strong emotional attachment to it (and that's fine). Those sorts of reactions come when outsiders are perceived to be attacking something that people love. Perhaps if the original poster came with a problem that he needed to solve and had an excellent justification on why removing the logo would improve the situation, then people would have taken him more seriously.

But if he comes in here saying "get rid of it, it only annoys me", do you really expect developers to jump and up exclaim "yes, sir, I'll do it right away, just for you!", even disregarding the fact that taking it out would annoy many more people than those who are annoyed by it?

Every app contains branding (not advertising) of some sort, and if it's subtle like the Blender's little logo is, it's a good thing. It helps people build the aforementioned emotional attachment to the product, and a tiny little spot of 'cuteness' might just be a needed bit of positivity, when you've been stuck behind the monitor all week tearing your hair out to meet a deadline.