Question about computer specs for Blender?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Dia

Question about computer specs for Blender?

Post by Dia »

I wasn't sure what forum to put this in so I just picked this one.

I used to have a Pentium 4 1.5 gig with a Geforce fx5200, 512 ram, audigy 2 zs sound card running Windows 98 SE. Blender ran great on there. I recently got a new computer, specs for it are:

AMD 64 3000
1gig o' ram
audigy 2zs sound card
WinXP SP2
ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series Vid card

Now since getting this computer, Blender doesn't seem to run very good at all, it is very slow, all functions from selecting stuff to rendering is very very slow now. Also it seems like the longer I use Blender at one time, the slower it gets :( . Does Blender not like AMDs or something?

Thanks for any info.

Dia

Arathorn

Post by Arathorn »

There was a problem with ATI in the past I believe. I'm not sure if it was totally fixed already.

z3r0_d

Re: Question about computer specs for Blender?

Post by z3r0_d »

Dia wrote:Now since getting this computer, Blender doesn't seem to run very good at all, it is very slow, all functions from selecting stuff to rendering is very very slow now. Also it seems like the longer I use Blender at one time, the slower it gets :( . Does Blender not like AMDs or something?
blender and ati has had problems

weird that it still exists though, I've not seen the problem on any of the systems I play with for some time....

there are several things you can do:
get an nvidia card [probably have already decided not to]
use blender 2.23 [yes, from the NaN era] or earlier
try newer drivers [the 3.7 drivers which don't seem to have this bug came out before your graphics card], current version is 5.4

this stuff is very weird, and shouldve been fixed-ish in a somewhat recent blender version [2.33 or so iirc]... but I guess not

weird

Dia

Post by Dia »

Thanks for the info guys, the ATI card that I have there currently is just the on board one, it was better for gaming anyways then the last one I had but I plan on going back to a Nvidia so that is good to know :) Again thanks for the info.

Dia