[Interface Request] Interface Design Contest

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

famitsu

[Interface Request] Interface Design Contest

Post by famitsu » Fri May 20, 2005 4:29 pm

I've been using Maya, Max and Modo for 2 years. Each of the program have their unique interfaces. When I change to Blender, it's a bit rough since all the menu, buttons and functions are so messy and inconvinient. I dont say it's a bad interface but I would say it's a not really a friendly interface for everyone to use. So I try to make a contest where we should contribute ideas and design of what should a NEW FRIENDLY Blender looks like. I hope this post will gather all of suggestions of everyone to make Blender better and easier for everyone. Please post up your design and suggestion about IMPROVING the UI of BLENDER.

Bellorum

Re: [Interface Request] Interface Design Contest

Post by Bellorum » Fri May 20, 2005 6:12 pm

famitsu wrote:I've been using Maya, Max and Modo for 2 years. Each of the program have their unique interfaces. When I change to Blender, it's a bit rough since all the menu, buttons and functions are so messy and inconvinient. I dont say it's a bad interface but I would say it's a not really a friendly interface for everyone to use. So I try to make a contest where we should contribute ideas and design of what should a NEW FRIENDLY Blender looks like. I hope this post will gather all of suggestions of everyone to make Blender better and easier for everyone. Please post up your design and suggestion about IMPROVING the UI of BLENDER.
have you tried downloading Tuhopuu? It has the 2.4 UI changes.
http://blender.org/modules.php?op=modlo ... 17782fafcf
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

z3r0_d

Re: [Interface Request] Interface Design Contest

Post by z3r0_d » Fri May 20, 2005 7:13 pm

Bellorum wrote:
famitsu wrote:I've been using Maya, Max and Modo for 2 years. Each of the program have their unique interfaces. When I change to Blender, it's a bit rough since all the menu, buttons and functions are so messy and inconvinient. I dont say it's a bad interface but I would say it's a not really a friendly interface for everyone to use. So I try to make a contest where we should contribute ideas and design of what should a NEW FRIENDLY Blender looks like. I hope this post will gather all of suggestions of everyone to make Blender better and easier for everyone. Please post up your design and suggestion about IMPROVING the UI of BLENDER.
have you tried downloading Tuhopuu? It has the 2.4 UI changes.
http://blender.org/modules.php?op=modlo ... 17782fafcf
example:

check "design proposals" here for more depth:
http://wiki.blender.org/bin/view.pl/Ble ... chitecture

I think there should _not_ be a contest, the 2.4x redesign is looking pretty good

[besides, if I tried to switch to maya/max/modo [or finnish learning xsi] I'd have to deal with all of their differences too... perhaps blender needs more people working on the docs then?]

... well, anyway, the panels and menus introduced in 2.30 are quite an improvement, blender is less dependent on knowing all of the shortcuts [and now has places with integrated python scripts]

Blendorphin

Post by Blendorphin » Sat May 21, 2005 12:18 am

Yes, the 2.4 UI is already being worked on.

I don't see the point in continuing this discussion... famitsu has yet to reply to a topic he creates :)

famitsu

Post by famitsu » Sat May 21, 2005 9:11 am

I think to put all the menu bars and buttons at the bottom is not a good idea, why dont we put it in the right hand side, and in the left hand side we make a Vertical Shelf that contains some icons that represents some functions like Transform ( Move, Rotate, Scale), Snapping ( Snap Point, Snap CV, Snap Grid ), Mode ( Edit mode, Face Mode, Edge Mode, etc..), Edttiing (Extrude Edge, Extrue Face, etc..). And we can actually add more icons or remove them like we wants. And if we dont want to hide it, just click on the "Hide Icons" and hide them, and click "Show Icons" to show that Shelf again

At each of the windows 3D view ( Perspective, Top, Front, Side ) should have a top panel like Maya that contains some thing like View ( Camera, Camera Editor, Image Plane, etc...), Shading ( X-Ray, Wireframe, Wifreframe on shaded, etc...) Lightning, Show ( Show Grid, Show Planes, Show Nurbs Curves, Show Nurb surfaces, etc..) and the last is Panel ( Change the view of that windows to Top View, Front View, Custom View, etc...)

For the top menu or panel of the main program, we should make a pop up options to allow users to change the type of Top Menu
For example: 1- Modelling Menu, we change to that option, the menu will appear like Add, Create, Display, Edit Curve, Edit Polygons, etc...
then if we change to 2 - Render Mode, the menu will change to have some functions for rendering like Lightning, IPR Render, Batch Render, etc....
The genereal default should contains only some simple one like File, Windows, Help.
It will be better than mix up like File, Add, Time Line <---?? from Animation, Game <--- for scripting, then Render <---? , so mix up.

This my suggestion, if we want to make it better, we should firtsly make it easy for us to interact and use it. I know some of you guy will take it offensively but that's the way to improve it.

famitsu

Post by famitsu » Sat May 21, 2005 10:31 am

To make it more clear, it make a mockup design for Blender. It's still not completed, but I will show you what did I mean about the new panel in left handside.
http://homepage.mac.com/hueylee/PhotoAlbum3.html

sten

Post by sten » Sat May 21, 2005 11:35 am

the default Blender way to work in 3D view is to use one 3D view only when modeling, but it can be easy split up into 4 views of 3D window, but then, it might kill the idea how Blender works, many Blenderusers are used to only work in one window...and besides, doing a vertical window for buttons is no problem either, just put mousepointer between buttons window at bottom and 3D view and RMB click and pick "Split window" and LMB click, then pick that right area as windowtype --> Buttons window, and RMB click inside it to choose Vertical placement :)

can it be easier?

famitsu

Post by famitsu » Sat May 21, 2005 12:21 pm

What I mean here is a complete friendly icons sets, like Transform, edit, rotate, scale, etc... not just a few icons there at the bottom menu. And by the way it's not easier since it takes you few steps to have such Vertical Panel, while they will be there in the left handside forever and we can hide it up or pull it out, is that easier then your 3 steps?

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein » Sat May 21, 2005 5:58 pm

famitsu wrote:What I mean here is a complete friendly icons sets, like Transform, edit, rotate, scale, etc... not just a few icons there at the bottom menu. And by the way it's not easier since it takes you few steps to have such Vertical Panel, while they will be there in the left handside forever and we can hide it up or pull it out, is that easier then your 3 steps?
I'm not sure if you know but you can easily create several screen layouts for different purposes an save them as the user defaults. That way you can create screen for different screens and switch with CTRL + CURSOR_RIGHT/ CURSOR_LEFT: Means you can create a screen with a vertical alignment of the buttons if it is appropriate and another where the buttons are aligned horizontal if it's not. That's one of the strengths of Blender: Adjusting the UI to your personal workflow. Your proposal might be good you if you're only modelling but might not be the best for anyone else doing animation, texturing, using the sequencer or whatever...
Also: If you click the buttons which would be the window where you do the transformation? First click in it? Isn't it much faster just hitting the GKEY?
Thought I must admit that it would be good to have the possibility to have the window header vertical - would make some of my screens a bit better.

bleen

Post by bleen » Sun May 22, 2005 4:02 am

i don´t know what´s wrong with blenders ui..?! you should take a lttle bit more time to examine blenders abilities...maybe you´re right in some case, but YOU want a workaround like your old applications...
you can costumise blender a lot...
take a look to my ui, it looks similar to your requested one...

justizin

interface

Post by justizin » Sat May 28, 2005 3:43 am

i'm in favor of some quick access buttons, but i don't think anything should be forced on anyone. plugins and user configurable preferences are always the way to go.

To elaborate, and I'm not sure if this is or is not possible in current blender, but a plugin architechture could, and may, provide ways to add new headers / views / whatever it's all called. If nothing else, it's not intrusive to anyone who doesn't use this stuff if it's added, but not visible in default blender. It shouldn't even be loaded into memory, and you could have a configure option to disable its' compilation.