Tech Draw

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

kirpre

Tech Draw

Post by kirpre »

I saw this in the Misc. release notes for 2.37:
Mesh edit, new "Tech Draw" options: for display of edge length, face corner angles and face area.
How do I view thie information? Thanks.

SirDude

Post by SirDude »

Under the Editing Tools (F9) Panel: Mesh Tools 1
There are toggle buttons to activate them.

kirpre

Post by kirpre »

Thanks. Interesting, but very hard to read even for a simple mesh, especially if you turn them all on at once.

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

En mesh editmode only, you can draw Edge Lengths, Face angles and face areas, In the right hand edit mode panel- where you turn nornmal on and off.
- Cam

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

If you can think of a better way to display mesh info like this then please speak up.

There not intended to be all on at once, just turn them on when you need to, and selecte what you need to see.

- Cam

kxs

Post by kxs »

That edge length could be better. I mean it could be but there could be also a new feature - displaying distance between two vertices. It could be available in the Transform Properties window if you selected 2 vertices.
It would be better than Edge Length, because if you want to now length of one side of the object which is subdivided to few edges what will you do? Adding few lengths and counting on your calculator. Instead you could just select extreme vertices and hit N to see the length in the Transform Properties window

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

kxs wrote:That edge length could be better. I mean it could be but there could be also a new feature - displaying distance between two vertices. It could be available in the Transform Properties window if you selected 2 vertices.
It would be better than Edge Length, because if you want to now length of one side of the object which is subdivided to few edges what will you do? Adding few lengths and counting on your calculator. Instead you could just select extreme vertices and hit N to see the length in the Transform Properties window
I agree this could be usefull, but it also seems a bit hackish, could there be a more general way of solving this problem?

Mabe a ruler object would be better (very easy to add as a python script link)

Could always beetween the Current and prevous cursor 3d location.

joeri

Post by joeri »

ideasman wrote:If you can think of a better way to display mesh info like this then please speak up.

There not intended to be all on at once, just turn them on when you need to, and selecte what you need to see.

- Cam
I could say I told you so, but then again maybe not.
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=m ... et&start=7