Idea to speed-up the workflow in blender.

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

-efbie-

Idea to speed-up the workflow in blender.

Post by -efbie- »

Blender is quite fast, but not enough for my taste :) the main problem is that you must click way too much in menus to choose your tools. The idea is the following.

the current workflow is :
- press menu hotkey (like W)
- navigate trough menu with LMB
- use your tool.

the new workflow would be :
- keep pressed menu hotkey
- put mouse over desired tool (no clic)
- release menu hotkey
- use your tool.

"but what if you have submenus ?"
in case of submenus the workflow would be :
-keep pressed menu hotkey
-clic on item to open submenu
-put mouse over desired tool
-release menu hotkey
-use your tool.

the important thing, is that the last used tool in submenu is recorded.
so if you choose to not open a submenu and just release the menu hotkey, the last used tool in submenu is used.

the advantages would be :
you just have to press hotkey once to get the last used tool. like extrude, you would only have to press E without any need to click as long as you don't switch between 'individual" and "region".

what do you think ?

halibut

Post by halibut »

I love this idea,

would it be possible to detect a button "tap" (do it the old way)
and a button "hold" (do it this way),

What sort of timeout would be needed before it was counted as a "hold"?

I think this could speed up workflow a lot,

remember you can use the number keys too (on a menu), which can speed things up quite a bit as it is

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- »

well, the purpose would be that if you "tap" it would just redo the last action. I guess that it is the main thing that would speed the workflow. So i don't think that both mode are compatible, there would be a userpref to change between the old way, and this way.

Yes, number keys are useful but sometimes you really need to be a pianist to use it right. But the number keys could still be used with this new system.

scourage

Post by scourage »

In order to tell the difference between a tap and a hold, you need to keep the time difference between KEY_DOWN and KEY_UP events. You could do this with an array for the keys and get a time for the down, then on an up event compare the times. Then you would push either a KEY_TAP or KEY_HOLD event to blender's event queue (If I understand how it works).

cheers,

Bob
Halfway down the trail to hell....

FourMadMen

Post by FourMadMen »

An interesting idea although please bear in mind that you can use the number keys on the popup menu. So after you press 'W' you can press say '5' in order to "Remove Doubles".

Auralis

Post by Auralis »

Anyone remember the amiga?

The menu system worked like this:

right click and hold to open the menu, releasing the right button over a menu item exectuted that item.
for selecting multiple menu items, one could then left click while holding right on the items one wanted, they would get then executted in the order of clicking.

FourMadMen

Post by FourMadMen »

Indeed I do. Still have mine. Three in fact. An architecture that was lightyears ahead of it's time.