Autopackage

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

galaxitor

Autopackage

Post by galaxitor »

Hi there!

How about using autopakage ( http://autopackage.org ) to install blender in Linux. It would be good to those who wish to install Blender systemwide (like me :P), Doing it manually is too much hassle . I know autopackage is still a very young project, and probably needs maturing. But since it is the closest thing to an universal installer for Linux (at least that I know), maybe it is a good idea to check it how it is developing in a few months. What do you think?

Cheers!

Eduardo Teixeira
Last edited by galaxitor on Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kxs

Post by kxs »

i don`t think that installing Blender on linux is difficult. You just have to copy blender to directory you want and that`s it. You may of course add a symlink to blender - not so hard either

stiv

Re: Autopackage

Post by stiv »

galaxitor wrote:How about using autopakage to install blender in Linux.
Are you offering to maintain it? That is the biggest obstacle to using any install/package system.

galaxitor

Post by galaxitor »

Hi again!

I know it is easy to install blender in linux, but I was talking about installing it systemwide, that is, put blender in the desired directory, put an entry for blender on the main menu for every user, associate mime types, etc. The goal of this was to install blender systemwide as easy as windows, without having to wait for the distribution repositories to update blender.
As for me maintaining it, I am afraid I can't do it, because:

1- I don't have any experience in packaging, I am a 3D animator

2- I just don't have time, because I am learning how to code to explore the true power of open source :)

I put this topic on this forum because I wanted to hear your opinions about having this type of packaging as a feature.

Cheers!

Eduardo Teixeira