Multiple displays - a very hybrid topic

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

csekejoska

Multiple displays - a very hybrid topic

Post by csekejoska » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:04 pm

This is a hybrid thingie. First, I start with a problem that is NOT a bug in Blender, but seems to be OpenGL's feature that would be good if circumvented. I have two monitors, the secondary adapter is a rather old PCI card with no 3D features. If I enable that card (becomes part of my desktop), Blender will be very slow even on the main display that is quite fast otherwise. I figured out that when OpenGL initializes, it attempts to support even the worst adapter in the system, making the best ones as slow as that. What led me to this conclusion is that if I enable the 2nd display *after* starting Blender, there are no speed issues, but windows located on the secondary display don't get refreshed. Is it possible to tell OpenGL to ignore the secondary adapter in such cases?

The second thing, is that it would be very nice if Blender could really support multiple displays. I think because of the former problem OpenGL won't do, however, it is not necessary to make it part of the work area; it is enough if it can hold those small windows with buttons and sliders. They would be happy on the standard GDI, don't?

The third thing is a programming question: I'm a very amateur programmer, and I want to make my programs support multiple monitors. I need to provide a dropdown list containing the adapter+monitor names, so the user is able to choose which display to use in fullscreen mode. The thing I'm stuck with is that how to get these strings in a clean way, and paired to either a HMONITOR value or a monitors[n] element provided by Delphi's screen object?

Thanks in advance!

joeri

Post by joeri » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:40 pm

Hi,
as far as I know all windows in blender are openGL: also the button windows.
This makes them zoomable, but slow on crappy gfx cards.

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Post by Pierre-Luc_Auclair » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:47 pm

joeri wrote:This makes them zoomable, but slow on crappy gfx cards.
Which is normal.. They wouldn't be qualified as crappy the other way around. :)

joeri

Post by joeri » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:48 pm

Pierre-Luc_Auclair wrote:
Which is normal.. They wouldn't be qualified as crappy the other way around. :)
Not by me anyway.

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:20 am

And most importantly, cross-platform. It's not restricted to any OS' GUI libraries, meaning Blender can run on pretty much anything that can do OpenGL.

csekejoska

Post by csekejoska » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:22 am

broken wrote:
And most importantly, cross-platform. It's not restricted to any OS' GUI libraries, meaning Blender can run on pretty much anything that can do OpenGL.
Sure, but support for multiple displays would be also very good. If you ever tried it with for example Flash or Photoshop, you'll see what I think. I didn't mean changing too much in the code, but just making it possible to put the floating windows onto GDI. However, this is not even necessary if there is a way to init OpenGL separately for the secondary display, so it does not affect the main display's performance.
Or at least it should be made possible to exclude a certain display from OpenGL, because now I have to turn off the sec. adapter before starting Blender :-(

PS: installing a better card as secondary adapter is not a solution because it is often very hard or impossible to get them working in this configuration - and this is no reason for the vendor to give back your money!!!

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:28 pm

csekejoska wrote: Or at least it should be made possible to exclude a certain display from OpenGL, because now I have to turn off the sec. adapter before starting Blender :-(
This is mostly a driver issue.
csekejoska wrote: PS: installing a better card as secondary adapter is not a solution because it is often very hard or impossible to get them working in this configuration - and this is no reason for the vendor to give back your money!!!
Even "older" cards, like the NVidia FX5600 and ATI Radeon 9200 have often two heads: a normal VGA output and a DVI. If you get a card which supports both you often get a DVI-to-VGA adapter, if not, they are very cheap. That way you can have 2 monitors on one card. But then it is still up to the driver to support hw-accel on both displays.

I have a small modification to Ghost that makes Blender understand multiple displays on Windows, but there it is even more obvious that it'll come down to drivers in the end.

/Nathan

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:53 pm

I use blender on 2 minitors every day, and have had multiple monitors running Blender on linux, winxp ATI/NVidia.. I realy dont see the problem.

An issue might be if you had different size monitors you may want to split Blender into different sized windows. so as not to have dead space. But thats nota big deal..

ALso- Menus not opening between screen, which is still a minor issue also.
\
-Cam

joeri

Post by joeri » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:55 am

broken wrote:
In some cases people might find a non OS specific button shape confusing.
If I know my crowd it wouln't be long before people want the same button shape as in the rest of their software. People will keep looking for excuses why not to read the manual.