Feature Request(Fluid effects)

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

MasterChief54924

Feature Request(Fluid effects)

Post by MasterChief54924 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:01 am

This is a rather large request but it would be cool if blender could do fluid effects such as pouring water out of a glass or ocean water..ect
Maybe you could apply the effect to an object and then set some parameters for waves, how runny the water..to name a couple.

Thanks for reading this. :D

Murphy

Post by Murphy » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:14 pm

Incase anyone decides they might want to act on this request, Here is a paper on fluid simulation:
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~carlson/papers/preprint.pdf :D
~Murphy~

Murphy

Post by Murphy » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:47 pm

pixelTroll2005

Post by pixelTroll2005 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:54 pm

I just dowloaded and compiled the code last week in the hopes of implementing this. I am currently analyzing the code to see how I would implement this and what modules I will need to modify and create. My plan is to implement this using the current particle system. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

kakapo

Post by kakapo » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:09 pm

pixelTroll2005

Post by pixelTroll2005 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:16 am

Somebody beat me to it :shock: Oh well. I don't know about the rules for the Summer of Code but I will be willing to lend a hand if n_t needs it. Otherwise I guess I should come up with another idea for helping out with the blender code.

poutsa

Post by poutsa » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:47 pm

lucky3

Post by lucky3 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:09 pm

hi pixelTroll2005,

Thanks for helping this project, i'm involved in it at all but as far as i understood it, n_t want to implement fluid based on mesh, and you want to implement this using the particles system...
Why not trying to implement both yours and n_t's project? I think RealFlow work with these 2 methods.

poutsa

Post by poutsa » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:32 pm

pixelTroll2005

Post by pixelTroll2005 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:38 pm

I don't think that n_t is going to be implementing the fluid system via meshes. The mathematics can get a bit messy when the fluid isn't a simple flow. Imagine what happens when water is splashed around violently. Using meshes only you would get a lot entanglement, it would be hard to resolve a situation like that.

The fluid simulator that I propose would use the current particle object. That way initially only the particle systems mathematics can be extended so that when your doing fluid simulation the navier-stokes eq. can be used, and when your not doing fluid simulation the particle system would use the equations it is using now.

I envision the project workflow progressing something like this:

Phase 1
Modify particle object and math so that it can use the navier stokes equation (flavor undecided yet). Also add a button to the buttons window where the current particle system parameters reside that will give the user to turn on the navier-stokes equations.

Phase 2
The next phase of the project would be to implement a surface mesh for the fluid system. This will allow the user to define the kind of resolution of the mesh that will essentially be wrapped around the particles in the fluid system.

Phase 3
Implementation of parameters. This will allow the user to change different parameters for the fuild simulator. Viscosity, turbulence, etc.

Phase 4
Interaction between Rigid bodies and fluid. Note that in phase 1 there will be basic interaction such that rigid bodies will define through deflection where the particles can go, but not vice versa.

Well thats the rough draft of my fluid simulator project. I actually submitted this to "Summer of Code", but I think I sent it in too late (2 days before submission deadline) and all the positions were filled. Maybe I will still work on this, but I don't want to step on n_t's toes. :)

lucky3

Post by lucky3 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:48 pm

Ok , i understand it right now.
Anyway, thank you for your work and if your project goes on, keep it up! Fluid simulation is something i really enjoy in animation like a lot of users.

pixelTroll2005

Post by pixelTroll2005 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:00 am

Update...
Well I'm still working on the details for my version of a fluid solver. The version I am working on will be based on Smooth Particle Hydrodynamics (SPH) based on the paper by Matthias Muller, David Charypar, and Markus Gross
http://graphics.ethz.ch/Downloads/Publi ... Mue03b.pdf. I like this method, because it seems like it will integrate well with Blender's current particle system.

Currently I have modified the code so that a user can interacte with blender to enable a mesh object to become a fluid. I am now searching through the code to find where to modify it to put the mathematics. I will post an update when I reach this milestone.

lucky3

Post by lucky3 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:37 pm

Does that mean you and n_t are working on 2 different systems (SPH and LBM)?

lucky - looking for any updates about fluid work progress :)

n_t

Post by n_t » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:38 am

hello, someone just mailed me a link to this topic - I've not really been looking through the other forums so far...

well - looks like we'll soon have 2 fluid animation systems in blender :). as SPH and LBM are quite different approaches I also don't really see a way to combine them (although this might be interesting to try). but as both are slightly compressible algorithm I think their properties are a bit similar. The main strength of SPH is probably that you don't need a grid everywhere, in contrast to LBM where you need a lot of memory due to this. LBM on the other hand makes life easier by having this fixed grid, so you have simple&quick neighbor accesses and you can do things like coarsen the grid etc...

as I have a working LBM solver I didn't spend time to try and implement an SPH solver, but I'm sure it would be interesting to really compare the two methods... pixelTroll2005 - good luck with you project in any case

I also just started to setup the object structs and user interface. now I'm starting to write the code to export the mehes to my solver...

pixelTroll2005

Post by pixelTroll2005 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:46 am

as I have a working LBM solver I didn't spend time to try and implement an SPH solver, but I'm sure it would be interesting to really compare the two methods... pixelTroll2005 - good luck with you project in any case
Good luck to you also n_t. I agree it will be interesting to compare the two methods.

BTW, I am currently still working on the mathematics for the SPH. I will post more updates as they come.

I also need to find more information on how to make this an official project! Maybe I'll wait until I have the fluid simulator up and running.