Feature Request(Fluid effects)

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

tommy

Post by tommy »

What would be great is to have a fluid dynamics panel similar to the current soft-body panel. Here, the user would be able to choose which algorythm they want to use, either PSH or LBM, depending on the desired effect. I think for both algorythms, all & any access to other objects (particle solver, etc.) should remain hidden to the end-user. It would also be great if both algorythms supported solid-body and soft-body collisions, not to mention fluid collisions (although the latter would probably kill most computers ;) ). My 2 cents on the matter.

Cheers,

Tom

pixelTroll2005

Post by pixelTroll2005 »

Actually, the SPH fluid system I am designing will have fluid-fluid interaction as well as fluid-object interaction.

In general I think that fluid-fluid interaction will be easier to implement than fluid-object collision. This is because the mathematics will already be in place for a fluid to interact with itself. It will not be that difficult to extend this between two different fluids (i.e. water and oil).

Fluid-object collision/interaction is going to be harder to implement because it will require more mathematics, code, solving time, etc. for an object to modify the fluid forces, and vice versa.

My plan is to release the fluid system to the public once I get the fluid system running properly for interacting with itself and only deflection interaction with a solid object.

Later releases will include fluid-fluid interaction and fluid-object interaction.

The idea of two different kinds of fluid solvers sounds cool, but in practice I think that only one will survive! :cry: I will leave that up to the other Blender users to decide.

lucky3

Post by lucky3 »

The main problem here is that one of these 2 projects is link to the Google Summer of Code, and the other is not. However, i think Ton (or any members of the blender developper team) will decide according to the features of each fluid solver. But i can't say anything more cause i'm not involved in it :\
Maybe you should ask Ton.

n_t

Post by n_t »

tommy - good you mention the softbodies panel, that's just what I took as reference for adding my gui stuff:
http://wiki.blender.org/bin/view.pl/Ble ... dAnimation

the fluid-fluid interaction probably isnt easy, should be possible of course, but I also think fluid-object interaction is more important... at least it's higher on my todo list :) I gues most fluid animation need to deal with object in some way, while only special cases require several non-mixing fluids. having mixing fluids of e.g. different colors is easier again...

tommy

Post by tommy »

pixelTroll2005 wrote:Actually, the SPH fluid system I am designing will have fluid-fluid interaction as well as fluid-object interaction.

In general I think that fluid-fluid interaction will be easier to implement than fluid-object collision. This is because the mathematics will already be in place for a fluid to interact with itself. It will not be that difficult to extend this between two different fluids (i.e. water and oil).

Fluid-object collision/interaction is going to be harder to implement because it will require more mathematics, code, solving time, etc. for an object to modify the fluid forces, and vice versa.

My plan is to release the fluid system to the public once I get the fluid system running properly for interacting with itself and only deflection interaction with a solid object.

Later releases will include fluid-fluid interaction and fluid-object interaction.

The idea of two different kinds of fluid solvers sounds cool, but in practice I think that only one will survive! :cry: I will leave that up to the other Blender users to decide.

Fluid-fluid collisions? "Bwiss"! What about fluid-softbody collisions? That would be "bwissfuller than bwiss"!

Cheers,

Tom

*bwiss = bliss