Z-shading in edit mode

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

eric.m.forsythe

Post by eric.m.forsythe » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:47 pm

Thanks for the heads up!

Okay, I submitted the patch into the Patch Tracker and sent an email to the 'bf-committers@blender.org' mailing list.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:34 pm

If you haven't joined the committers list it might take awhile for approval, not sure how fast (or if!) people check the que,

LetterRip

eric.m.forsythe

Post by eric.m.forsythe » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:31 pm

If you haven't joined the committers list it might take awhile for approval, not sure how fast (or if!) people check the que,
It was good that you mention this... I am a subscriber to the mail list, but I sent the email from a different address. I sent another email to the mailing list last night from the "subscribed" email address. Thanks!

eric.m.forsythe

Post by eric.m.forsythe » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:31 pm

For anyone who might be using this patch, I fixed the two problems found by zanqdo and blazer003 (see Patch Tracker). The new patch can be found there or at the usual webpage. Let me know if there are any more problems.

http://www.ericmforsythe.com/Blender/De ... Shade.html

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Post by Pierre-Luc_Auclair » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:52 pm

Hey guys,

nice to see people working on the editMode drawing.

I have a little request if possible. Could you add a option for backface culling?

eric.m.forsythe

Post by eric.m.forsythe » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:55 pm

Yeah, I think this might be a good feature. Unfortunately, I don’t think that it's a small change. It can be a little difficult to get a new drawing feature working correctly with all the current drawing features. Maybe, that portion of code needs some restructuring?

I don't remember if the vertices/edges have access to face data (I know that the faces have access to the vertex/edge data). If not, then each vertex/edge could not determine whether or not it should be drawn and new set of drawing functions would have to be implemented to draw the vertices/edges face-by-face.

Currently, I don't have the time to do this since I am back at grad school and I work full time, but I would be happy to help anyone wishing to understand the relevant code.