Hair?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

tiggs

Hair?

Post by tiggs » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:21 pm

Greetings,

Yes, I can imagine alot of people have asked this before, I'm sorry if I'm number 1001. I was curious if it's likely we'll see some hair solution some time? Is anybody working on something like this? I've seen people work with geometric hair like Fiber produces, billboards (Beast) and particles, which look very nice for shorter hair but are very restrictive. Will the PyTexture project have any kind of influence on this, ie make it easier to integrate?

Tiggs

Katt

Post by Katt » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:22 pm

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:09 pm

Hey Katt, thanks for your reply! :D

This is surely one of the best looking approaches to hair in Blender so far. As far as I read though I think it actually adds geometry (slim cylinders) for every hair in realtime (not on render). There is also an alternative by using cards kind of like in Beast. The big plus for me for this method is that it is an actual volume. The minus though is:
- in order to make somewhat realistic looking hair or even fur you need a very high density. By adding actual polygon geometry you get an extremely high poly count (imagine this with some hundred thousand or at the high end millions of hairs, thousands of hair strands).
- I didn't read anywhere that you have any kind of control over attributes that make hair realistic (besides kink, frizziness etc.). For example to control density, length by using bitmaps or applying multiple texture maps to colorize the hair at root and tip etc.

I've tried working with particles and they look very nice for certain things. Also I was able to render houndreds of thousands pretty nicely on just one machine. But the problems are:
- you can't really groom particles easily (well, you could probably try to groom them by using lattices for example, so this is a minor thing)
- same problems as above concerning hair attributes. You can apply a texture using Orco but that doesn't seem to work for UVs.
- no shadows.

Particles have alot of potential of course (as curves would have too :!: ), but at the moment what still looks best to me is the simple card method.

Some eye candy:

http://files1.turbosquid.com/Preview/Co ... 9Large.jpg
http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0351283/MAD13.jpg

Tiggs

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:38 pm

Concerning MakeHair I just read on the MakeHuman site:
In theory it's 98% complete.
But now we are trying a new way that seem improve greatly the performances and the usage: the renderman curves.
So that will be great! 8)

Tiggs