The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

natanael

Particles requests

Post by natanael » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:38 pm

I Have some request for particles:
-Particles casting shadows
-Particles receiving casted shadows
This two obove is because particles are made with halos that don't cast anreceives shadows In think.

-Texture affecting the color of the particles. Imagine a giraffe or a tiger model with its bodys covered by a UV texture with spots and stripes respectively. Where the texture color is black, the partilces color is black. Where the texture color is yellow the particles color is yellow. It is most easy that to create a separated mesh to each fur color and can produce very incredibles results.

-Particle size controlled by texture

-Particle densit controlled by texture

-Guides like Fiber Generator guides

I'm not want to be inconvenient with many requests, but, this changes would be the particles sistem perfect, principally the shadow casting and shadow receiving

levon

Post by levon » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:13 am

afaik the particle code is a mess, and it is quite hard to impliment new stuff into it.

though with the new py textures maybe they could be used on particles systems. but im not compleatly sure.

Blendorphin

Post by Blendorphin » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:22 am

Two of your feature requests already exist :)
-Particles receiving casted (buffered, not raytraced) shadows
-Texture affecting the color of the particles

Here's a quick 5 second test image: Image

To have your particles recieve Buffered shadows (those cast by spotlights; raytraced shadows are not detected... something to do with the rendering code) simply enable the Shaded option in the halo's material.

To have the texture affect the color of the halos, add the texture but do *not* activate HaloTex. This way, the texture will effect all of the halos at once, rather than having the same texture "tiled" across the halos.

Hope this helps!

natanael

Post by natanael » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:08 pm

It work with UV textures?

I'm having problems to apply UV textures coloring.

Bagration

Post by Bagration » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:32 am

natanael wrote:Guides like Fiber Generator guides
Lattices do work. You often just need to increase the Keys value of the particles. That will make them "obey" the lattice more.
natanael wrote:Particle size controlled by texture
For fur, you can fake this. Apply your texture to the 8th texture channel. Then, apply a tiny bit of Z-force to the particles, maybe 0.002. This will be the minimum length. Then increase the Tex slider a bit too, about the same value as the Z slider. This will be the maximum length.
Blendorphin wrote:To have the texture affect the color of the halos, add the texture but do *not* activate HaloTex. This way, the texture will effect all of the halos at once, rather than having the same texture "tiled" across the halos.
I like to have a blend texture for each particle by turning on HaloTex. This way I can make the particle look more like a fiber than a blob. How do you apply both a texture for individual particles (with HaloTex) and a texture for the emittor (HaloTex must be turned off)?

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:45 pm

Particles themselves don't cast shadows, hence hair and fur also isn't self-shadowed.

Also how do you apply a texture with UVs? Only Orco seems to work for me.

At the moment you can fake some effects within Blender but unfortunately there is nothing comparable yet to one of the solutions for other apps, also not as a post-process.

Tiggs

natanael

Post by natanael » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:35 pm

I have others request:

-A way of to control the number of particles in 3d view, independent of the render view, to increase or decrease them like is possible in subsurf. It will speed up the work in 3d window.

-A larger number of particles in one mesh. In a complex mesh is a quite dificult to create fur because of the low number of particles.

natanael

Post by natanael » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:33 pm

Thanks Blendorphin!

There is another problem

Bagration, the texture in 8th channel makes the particles to grow only in one direction, in a sphere, for example, the particles don't will increase in individual normal faces directions.

Tiggs, isn't necessary that particles cast shadows in itself, the result is already very good. I would like if the particles cast shadows in other objects, like a ground. This way, when using sharp shadows the fur shadow will be showed in this object. Yes, I know the old Not a Number tutorial to make it with composition, but it isn't so good for irregular surfaces an not planes surfaces.
Only Orco seems to work for me too.

And another request (yes, I know! I'm bore :-p):

A way of distribute particles equally in the surface. Each face have the same number of particles, where a face is small there is less particles that where a face is big creating a undesired dentity variation.

natanael

Post by natanael » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:09 am

Another problem:
When I use more that one lamp in the scene the particles don't receive casted shadows.