Feature proposal: Anchor IPO

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

malefico

Feature proposal: Anchor IPO

Post by malefico » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:15 pm

Hi, I thought about this feature to help synchronized animation of multiple objects.

Take a look at this picture:

Basicly the thing is to have a "per IPO window" button, which when ON, would automatically resize all IPO windows with this flag to the same horizontal scale and panning. Panning any of the "anchored" windows, will pan all of them the same way, keeping the tme cursor in the center.
Vertical scale/panning should remain unmodified since this is strongly dependent on curve type normally.

It's meant to work together with PIN button, since its main utility would be to help IPO curve editing for objects which have to be animated in synchro.

Of course, name is optional :D
What do you think ?

Best regards

malefico.

malefico

Post by malefico » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:33 pm

Sooo... 272 views, 0 comments... nobody interested I guess... :cry:

Caronte

Post by Caronte » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:18 pm

Hi malefico, I´m very interested, but unfortunately I can´t help :(
I hope some coder take it in consideration ;)
Caronte.
"Some Day, All Will Be Digital"
http://www.nicodigital.com

ZanQdo

Post by ZanQdo » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:39 pm

Good thinking, thats a cool feature indeed, but I guess that with the NLA recode we are going to use it (nla window) as a real dope sheet!! :D So synchronized animation and overlays betwen different objects/bones channels is going to be a piece ok cake!

Good to see you both! :wink:
:-) Hosting for your test builds:
GraphicAll.org

malefico

Post by malefico » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:54 pm

ZanQdo wrote: but I guess that with the NLA recode we are going to use it (nla window) as a real dope sheet!! :D So synchronized animation and overlays betwen different objects/bones channels is going to be a piece ok cake!
well, hope so too, but there are things you can't do in NLA though, not the NLA editor as we know it, for instance IPO curve tweaking, that's what I'm really aiming to.
Good to see you both! :wink:
Me too, glad to see both of you !

:D

solmax

Post by solmax » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:12 pm

malefico: great proposal! i've been thinking about this quite often (as it bothered me quite often) but never made it a feature request. so, you have my vote :)

ton
Site Admin

Post by ton » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:11 pm

Something similar we can use for action/nla/sound/timeline too.

Probably only doing the horizontal lock (time) is most useful, the vertical locking can become difficult when different systems are visualized... or maybe we need two anchoring buttons.

And.. 3d windows could use anchoring as well! :)

Further I like to see the icon!

solmax

Post by solmax » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:09 pm

quick thing.. but not completely happy - hard to see@1600 res.

there should be something like a master view which defines the timescale for the first time - maybe simply the view that has the icon activated first?

malefico

Post by malefico » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:19 pm

Something similar we can use for action/nla/sound/timeline too.

Probably only doing the horizontal lock (time) is most useful, the vertical locking can become difficult when different systems are visualized... or maybe we need two anchoring buttons.
Absolutely. For nla/timeline/sound it would also help. I propose this ONLY for horizontal lock actually, since you can have very peaky curves together with very flat ones, so it might be a little uncomfortable if this kind of "anchoring" works in both axis at the same time.

BTW, nice icon solmax, the icon I used for the mockup is the standard icon for anchoring layers from Gimp.

Best regards.

malefico.