A competition to Design Blenders UI

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

malCanDo

A competition to Design Blenders UI

Post by malCanDo »

...would be really cool.

Here's one for an other well-known, opensource media related application ( Jahsjaka, which relates to video editing, rather of 3D... some Blender users may even use this app! ).

http://www.jahshaka.org/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=46

While Blender is due an update soon ( using the cool UI from T3 ), some additional inspiration from fellow artistic users of Blender may be useful.

I like the way that they include points for the obvious issues ( UI icons etc ), as well as points for designing ways of visualising other features ( in Blenders case, maybe skinning and bones, alternative 3D gizmos etc ).

Any thoughts?
Mal

joeri

Post by joeri »

Without trying to be blunt: waiste of artists time.

I think Jahshaka took the computer artist "...despite a clumsy interface - something we hope will improve..." comment to serious.

aoe2bug

Post by aoe2bug »

Why all these posts about Blender's UI needing change?* I think it's coming along nicely, the new drawtype in T3 is sweet, and there is another project to update the icons ( I believe I read something about vector icons, not sure). Also, when you're really into blending, are you looking at the UI? I'm not. The only things that I see that might need changing are for usability**, and if thats what you meant then great, define some things that could be made better perhaps?

Sorry for the rant, not trying to be rude/mean/anything, just kinda confused as to what's wrong with Blender's UI specifically.

-Dan

*(in the past, etc)
**(like editing numbuts; in T3 though, when you ctrl-click one the value is highlighted, and this makes it easier to use IMHO)

dsp_418

Post by dsp_418 »

Sorry, what's T3?

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

dsp_418 wrote:Sorry, what's T3?
tuhopuu3, hopefully you can find a recent build for your platform in the testing builds forum

ElBarto

Post by ElBarto »

I agree Blenders new GUI is on the way and with it the reorganisation and clearing of the GUI comes true. May the actual themes and draw types are cool too. I personal did not like the new one but i really love the reorganisation and clearing of the panels!

So better spend time with finding bugs and improving existing features!
Karamba!
Bart.

http://www.area42.de/

Blender Feature Proposal:
http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/

malCanDo

Post by malCanDo »

> Without trying to be blunt: waiste of artists time.

A waste of a 3D only artists time, but a 3D artist with an interest in UI, and in 2D iconography, might find it very interesting.

> Sorry for the rant, not trying to be rude/mean/anything, just kinda confused as to what's wrong with Blender's UI specifically.

There's nothing *wrong* with it, especially with a number of UI enhancements underway ( especially the cool UI from T3 ).

However, a number of artists using Blender may have ideas of how to visually improve certain areas... a competition would help them design visual solutions, and have developers review them.

Remember, winning the competition doesn't mean that the winner will have their UI used!

Mal

joeri

Post by joeri »

malCanDo wrote:> Without trying to be blunt: waiste of artists time.

A waste of a 3D only artists time, but a 3D artist with an interest in UI, and in 2D iconography, might find it very interesting.
I mean the chance that their good ideas will be implemented is very slim, making the hard work an excersice only.
Like making a game you know nobody will ever play, or a drawing that nobody will ever see. That's fine if you want to practice, but let's not create an atmosphere where people think their ideas will be used (like in the jahshaka example you gave).

malCanDo

Post by malCanDo »

> I mean the chance that their good ideas will be implemented is very slim, making the hard work an excersice only.

For UI design, true.

For icon design, I think that if an artist designed nice PNG icons for Blender, they may get used.

To take a quick example, the icon for the 3D gizmo ( the hand icon ) isn't very professional. Also, is there a better way than a purple pac-man to illustrate the game settings panel?

If all the currently used icons were placed in a grid fashion in PNG format ( to support translucency ), it would make it pretty easy for artists to submit new entries. This might even encourage skinning of Blender ( allow people to over-ride the icons, by downloading a new icon grid ), in the same way as some people like changing the colour and transparencies of the UI etc.

Outside of icons, there is room for tweaks to the Blender UI that would help give it a more professional look.

eg the Blender logo at the top.

Current...

Slight change ( and taking up less space )...

> Like making a game you know nobody will ever play, or a drawing that nobody will ever see. That's fine if you want to practice, but let's not create an atmosphere where people think their ideas will be used (like in the jahshaka example you gave).

You're probably referring to people designing completely new UIs for Blender.

On a low tech level, if people designed and sent in screenshots of a tweaked or new visual gizmo for example, it might inspire further developments with the current one.

Same goes for the outliner... if someone designed a nice look and feel to it, some of their changes might roll back into it.

For higher level UI designs ( eg re-design timeline UI, skinnable-style UI etc ), these would be more abstract, and most definitely have a low chance of being used, but again the competition could let people know that, at this level, it's more for experimentation.

With so many artists on hand from the community, many of them may have a background in 2D pixel art. I'm sure that a lot of these artists would be more than happy to design an icon set for Blender, as part of a competition where they will be sure that their ideas will be seen by many of the developers.

Mal

Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Well, isn't this a community driven project? Why not? I think this idea is good, GOOD change is good change... When you have a lot of choice, it's way better than having none. If a contest went underway to reconstruct the blender interface, it could only benefit the community to see what else is out there. We may even find something we like and never thought we needed.

Hell, I bet if you tossed this challenge over at the boys at Deviantart.com and offered a Free Copy of Orange Extended Edition and a FREE Manual for blender 2.3 For 1st place. Toss in some t-shirts, a coffee mug, maybe a doll of the http://blenderchar.weirdhat.com/ guy. You might find a lot of people would participate.