I'm tired of "BKEY" ! :-)

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

v-i-c

Interface Usage Information

Post by v-i-c » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:54 pm

I don't know much about the blender source...but in most programs I've worked on it's a trivial matter to add Interface Usage Tracking...

Something along the lines of an xml file that stores the number of times each feature is used/how it was accessed, which can be optionally submitted via webservice...

Right now a lot blender development seems to be focused on "the vocal minority"...ie. the people in the forums who "can't live without a feature" which they may be the only people who use...that's fine for a small project, but as the interface grows and gets more complex it becomes much harder to find and use features and a more rigorous method of getting feedback is necessary.

I think as a developer it would be very rewarding to know that by reorganizing a menu I increased the usage of a particular feature. Or that in reality gestures get used by three people.

George

joeri

Post by joeri » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:00 am

v-i-c
I think that is one of the reasons project orange was started.
To see what is used and needed in a real production.

I find the xml collecting routine a nice idea, but unless it uploads from everyone (which people tend to hate) it will be just another biased group; the ones who have time to upload the file :) .

I hope (and believe) that the blender interface is made from a vision, not a democratic process, and if it's a good vision there will be little trouble.

v-i-c

Auto-feedback

Post by v-i-c » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:48 pm

joeri
I hope that as part of orange there is someone taking notes about how each person uses individual features...however...this is one small demographic of the Blender usergroup....professionals...

I think any well designed program is going to appeal to newbies as well as longtime users...and so somebody needs to be getting feedback from them...

I think that's why the XML thing would be useful (not a replacement for good old user testing, but an additional tool, with good hard metrics)...is it perfect, no...

Some things that it could be used to give metrics on are things like...people who use Blender for more than 3 hours a day generally use the keyboard shortcuts except for two features...perhaps there is a reason for that....lets do some user testing and find out why people aren't using the keyboard shortcuts for each particular feature...

I totally get what your saying about people not wanting to upload the feedback...I would suggest it work like the MSN Messenger Feedback Program...you are asked when you start the program for the first time if you want to be involved, if you say no...that's it you aren't asked again...if you say yes...you never have to do anything, it all happens behind the scenes...

Does this skew the reporting group? Maybe, but I doubt it...the main group of people to say no are people who:

1. Aren't connected to the internet or have a slow connection
2. Are worried about privacy issues
3. Are jerks

One/Two can probably be allieviated with technical solutions (allowing the data to be freely browsable, untraceable, not all-encompassing)

People in the third can't complain....

The real issue anyways is getting metrics about usage...and so even if there are different numbers of datasets from people using blender for less than an hour a day vs more than an hour a day...I really am more interested in ratio of feature usage within those subsets than the ratio between them...

I personally really love the interface of Blender...but I think as things get bigger and there is more to maintain...some things are going to need to fall by the wayside, and others will need to be simplified...this could definatly give better ideas as where to focus our development attention...

G

buergi

Post by buergi » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:01 pm

hi,

i think the best ideas till now are:
1. Making gestures with MMB, even if you have to get used to it., LMB: selection
2. LMB: gestures; double click -> LMB+drag: selection.

i myself doesn't use the gesture feature, mostly because i think i'm much faster to press g,r,s on the keyboard, because you have to have one hand on your keyboard and the other on the mouse. But i think gestures are also a very efficient way to move, size... objects. but i also agree that the gesture feature can be improved by more features like done here: http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49157 , but i'm not satisfied by this solution, because it's a bit unflexible.
But in fact, i don't care pressing the b button, because i do it subconsciously :)

joeri

Post by joeri » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:25 pm

I don't mind pressing the b key because my hand is on the keyboard anyway, but I dont use gestures, specialy not the v one (scale). I'm pretty happy with the right mouse grab, rotating and scaling is something I don't do alot in comparison to moving, this is because rotating verteces doesn't make alot of sense. (don't need no xml to figure that one out). With the new transform system I'm pressign the keyboard alot more anyway.

joeri

Re: Auto-feedback

Post by joeri » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:32 pm

v-i-c wrote: 1. Aren't connected to the internet or have a slow connection
2. Are worried about privacy issues
3. Are jerks
I think you'll find yourself on the wrong path if you start putting people who don't share your ideas in a group called jerks.