Computer Aided Design

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

metiosarius

Computer Aided Design

Post by metiosarius »

I was wondering if there have been any attempts to work with the blender source code to create a program similar to SolidWorks or AutoCAD Inventor. My main reason for this is that linux lacks any full-featured native CAD programs, and, it appears that Blender would be a great base for starting to develop a parametric CAD program...

Has anything been said about this?
metiosarius

rcas

Re: Computer Aided Design

Post by rcas »

metiosarius wrote:I was wondering if there have been any attempts to work with the blender source code to create a program similar to SolidWorks or AutoCAD Inventor. My main reason for this is that linux lacks any full-featured native CAD programs, and, it appears that Blender would be a great base for starting to develop a parametric CAD program...

Have you tried QCad ?
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

metiosarius

Post by metiosarius »

Yes, I have tried QCad, but, it does not do solid modeling like SolidWorks or AutoCad Inventor....at least not that I'm aware of.
metiosarius

stiv

Post by stiv »

Repeatedly. Try searching the forums here and on elysiun for examples.

The fundamental problem is that blender lacks the data structures for doing parametric geometry.

Arathorn

Post by Arathorn »

Have you tried BRL-CAD?

I doubt Blender will ever be useable as a CAD program,, and at least not in the near future.

joeri

Post by joeri »

metiosarius wrote:I was wondering if there have been any attempts to work with the blender source code to create a program similar to SolidWorks or AutoCAD Inventor. My main reason for this is that linux lacks any full-featured native CAD programs, and, it appears that Blender would be a great base for starting to develop a parametric CAD program...

Maya runs on linux.

rcas

Post by rcas »

joeri wrote:

Maya runs on linux.
joeri only one thing comes to my mind, LOL, good point :) .
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.