AutoKey

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

MNME

AutoKey

Post by MNME » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:29 pm

AutoKey for Objects and poses as a single button is winding me up something silly...
I normally have autokey on for pose and off for objects.. and only having the one button means im having to go up to the settings 10 times/day

When i move an object i invariably dont want to set an IPO for it as this often winds up with the object drifting slowly around the scene because, I making small adjustments to the location whenever i notice it needs to be moved.. this normally ends up being on different frames because its static and i feel no need to check what frame number im on... generally, when i put an object somewhere, thats where i want it to stay

poses on the other hand... i almost always want to insert a key when i modify the orientation, its a little lasy to do it automatically but wow does it speed up the workflow.. on the rare occasion i dont want to key (coz im just testing) i normally just dont click the mouse button, but instead esc once i'v seen if its working or not.

joeri

Post by joeri » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:17 pm

So this is new then?
It's a bug right? I found it very annoying too that objects with no IPO suddenly get an IPO because they have been repositioned.

Autokey should only work on objects that already have a key.

GusM

Post by GusM » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:51 pm

I agree, it was much more usefull when it had two buttons...

ilac

Post by ilac » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:14 pm

Do any of you use the timeline window?? It has a a record button which gives quick on and off access to autokeying without the need to access the preferences - plus also gives other usful information/tools while animating.

What is still needed is a hotkey to be able to quickly switch record on/off. Broken was trying to implement the CapsLock key which would have made a brilliant 'record button' but ran into some implementation issues. Pity cos the 'on-air' Capslock LED light would be a brilliant 'gimmick'! Would make mine red! :D

Hopefully the new NLA might make it possible to have 'record' on per object or per object property as found in Adobe AfterEffects which has the best animation timeline I've ever came across in terms of features and control. Got my fingers-crossed it will be used as a basis for the new NLA timeline...

joeri

Post by joeri » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:53 am

I thought the point of an autokey button was to put it on or off, not to put it on and off all the time, then I might as well just insert keys.

MNME

Post by MNME » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:04 pm

oh.. that timeline thing will help a bit, thanks :)
capslock is a bit of a landmine tho.. i hit it all the time going for tab.. maybe one of the ; or # etc keys, whole bunch on the right not used yet