[Feature Request] - Needed to replace Commercial Appz

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

rcas

[Feature Request] - Needed to replace Commercial Appz

Post by rcas » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:19 pm

These are just some items that came up to my mind that would make Blender really stand as an alternative to Commercial Appz (not that 2.40 isn't already a good replacement).

- Built-in SubSurface Scattering support
- Flame/Fire Simulation
- Crowd Control
- Better Material system (something similar to shaderman)

I'm not going to code them anytime soon, cause I don't have the time and I don't have that much of knowledge with Blender dev. I hope I get some intel on it at this years Blender Conference.

This is just a ramble on what I think would be great to see in Blender, if anyone is interested in coding any of it, great :) .
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

joeri

Post by joeri » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:19 pm

:)

Ton is going to improve the communication between the minutes meetings and the .org website (hmm, toni is going todo the work I think is the plan).
This should give more insight on projects that are currently going on and on what is done to improve blender.

"Stand out" is not a goal per see. It already has some features that make it stand out very much, the price tag for example being one of them, fasted subsurf being another.

But I'm for one looking forward meeting you at the 05bconf.

rcas

Post by rcas » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:25 pm

joeri wrote::)

Ton is going to improve the communication between the minutes meetings and the .org website (hmm, toni is going todo the work I think is the plan).
This should give more insight on projects that are currently going on and on what is done to improve blender.

"Stand out" is not a goal per see. It already has some features that make it stand out very much, the price tag for example being one of them, fasted subsurf being another.

But I'm for one looking forward meeting you at the 05bconf.
Me too, so much to talk about.

In the Management session on Saturday I will give an idea of what I think that could be improved in Blender Management / Development.

Being OSS clearly makes Blender stand out, but I was ignoring that, since many people/companies see OSS software as non supported software, no Commercial Support for it.
Altough in my opinion, Blender has one of the Best Open Source support.

:)
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

gabio

Post by gabio » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:03 pm

Not to kind of break the party here. But you can read the goal of the Blender foundation: http://www.blender.org/cms/About.30.0.html
It is not a goal for Blender to become comercial-ready. This can explain some decisions made by the dev team.
just some though

rcas

Post by rcas » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:13 pm

gabio wrote:Not to kind of break the party here. But you can read the goal of the Blender foundation: http://www.blender.org/cms/About.30.0.html
It is not a goal for Blender to become comercial-ready. This can explain some decisions made by the dev team.
just some though
I know that Gabio :) .
And it is not my intention to make a flame war here.
This was just some thoughts, nothing more.

I was just stating that if it had those features it would become Comercial ready, even though that is not the intention that the Blender Foundation has for Blender.
How to use a Blender:

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:24 pm

- Built-in SubSurface Scattering support
- Flame/Fire Simulation
- Crowd Control
- Better Material system (something similar to shaderman)
SSS - there is the makehuman sss, but don't think it is on anyones roadmap

Flame/Fire isn't on anyones road map, equally important is smoke. There are both shader issues and simulation issues that need to be done though. Perhaps that will be one of next summers SoC projects.

Crowd simulation is what 'BlenderPeople' is all about - it is waiting on the python animation API to be reconstituted before Harkyman can continue work on it (I assume he is planning to do so again at any rate). Requires mySQL so not likely to be bundled.

Ton stated it is a wishlist item of Orange team for materials to become node based (as is also desired for compositing).
I was just stating that if it had those features it would become Comercial ready, even though that is not the intention that the Blender Foundation has for Blender.
There are many different aspects of commercial ready - interoperability (ie high quality import and export for industry standard formats) and usefulness for a particular niche are probably most critical. Taking one aspect of Blender and taking it to being the best or close to it, is far more important (from a 'commercial adoption' view) than doing a bunch of different tasks 'ok'.

The upcoming release will get Blender to the stage of one of the better animation tools in both terms of functionality and ease of use.

LetterRip

joeri

Post by joeri » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:05 am

btw. blender is dual licensed. So it is possible to make a commercial product if you'd want to.

rcas

Post by rcas » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:55 am

joeri wrote:btw. blender is dual licensed. So it is possible to make a commercial product if you'd want to.
Dual Licensed ?

Isn't it just GPL ?
How to use a Blender:

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:11 pm

rcas wrote: Dual Licensed ?
Yep.
Isn't it just GPL ?
Nope. There exists the possibility to buy a commercial license if you want to create a closed source application. But I think the code you get might be outdated because it refers to version 2.25. Perhaps you could ask Ton about it. He surely can explain things further.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:48 pm

joeri,
btw. blender is dual licensed. So it is possible to make a commercial product if you'd want to.
http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/b ... 11017.html

As pointed about by Ton in the above most of the new code additions by authors other than Ton would need to give their permission for a relicense. So while a 'theoretical possibility' it isn't really a practical consideration.

LetterRip

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:48 pm

dup
Last edited by LetterRip on Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:49 pm

dup
Last edited by LetterRip on Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joeri

Post by joeri » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:07 pm

LetterRip wrote:dup
I thought the X removes the post.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:34 pm

Hmmm I don't see an x anywhere, and I did look. The duplicates were caused by a bug in the posting system.

(Now that I said that there is an X by this post... but was not by any of my previous posts...)

LetterRip

joeri

Post by joeri » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:35 am

I think it's only on the last post.
But yes, I get this DEBUG MODE thingy once in a while to.