[Feature Request] Background image per ortho view

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

kminder

[Feature Request] Background image per ortho view

Post by kminder »

I would really love to be able to establish background/reference images per ortho view. Ideally one for each top, bottom, front, back, left side and right side.

I do realize that you can "sort of" do this by creating a window for each ortho view and assigning the appropriate background image to each. Things get confusing however if you switch a given window into another view.

So basically I'm asking to be able to associate the background image to the view rather than a window.

While I'm at it I might as well plead for the ability to specifiy a rotation for the background images in addition to translation and scale. Just a nice to have.

What does everyone else think?

nemyax

Post by nemyax »

You can position 3 textured planes at right angles to each other as a workaround.

kminder

Post by kminder »

As I understand it, that doesn't work in edit mode for 2.37a. Does it work in CVS yet? Thanks for the suggestion though.

nemyax

Post by nemyax »

What exactly doesn't work? It's not the image planes that you're putting into edit mode, it's the mesh you're modelling. Turn on textured display and set the mesh draw type to wireframe.

joeri

Post by joeri »

Although the texture trick is a workable one, the backimage per view should be easy to implement and prove to be very handy.

KDR_11k

Post by KDR_11k »

The textured planes will fail if you need to change the drawmode while working (e.g. to enable wireframe for a moment). Sure, there are workarounds but they are lacking. The background-per-view would really be appreciated.

lguillaume

Post by lguillaume »

KDR_11k wrote:The textured planes will fail if you need to change the drawmode while working (e.g. to enable wireframe for a moment). Sure, there are workarounds but they are lacking. The background-per-view would really be appreciated.
You can force all object to be wire in solid mode:
Select the object, hit F7 and in the draw panel you have wire option, click on it and if you are in solid/shaded/textured mode, the mesh keep the wire mode.

pildanovak

Post by pildanovak »

I would also make this request a litter bigger: I request also background pictures per camera, the reason is modelling from photographs...

kakdila

Post by kakdila »

hello,
i ask the same think a long time ago:
http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

but i it don't look to interest the devellopers ?

:)

--------
sorry for my bad english