Shockwave 3D export ( via XSI exporter )

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

malCanDo

Shockwave 3D export ( via XSI exporter )

Post by malCanDo »

Hi all,

I've updated the SoftImage XSI exporter, to include more information ( normals, and some light and camera information ).

http://www.candointeractive.com/blender/xsi_export.py

The export from this script is compatible with the XSI2W3D ( Shockwave 3D ) converter, so people can now use Blender to create content for this app.

Converter info... there are 2 different ones, an open-source one, and a commercial one ( which can be used for free, if you are using under 8 bones ).

http://www.sintesys.net/exporter/

Regards...
Mal

BTW I'll have a stand-alone viewer for Shockwave 3D content ready in a week or so, to assist with testing.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

excellent work,

what license is this under?

LetterRip

joeri

Post by joeri »

Looks great mal.
Where would I create the logic? in xsi or in director?

malCanDo

Post by malCanDo »

LetterRip wrote...

> excellent work,
> what license is this under?

The license for the python script? I had assumed that all blender scripts were distributed for free ( LGPL? ).

Is there some text that needs to be included in the python script to specify a license, so that it can be distributed with Blender for free?

joeri wrote...

> Looks great mal.
> Where would I create the logic? in xsi or in director?

You would import the W3D file into Director, and add the logic from there.

I'll also get a stand-alone viewer working, so that you won't need Director to just view or show your models online. However, to do anything more complicated, you will need Director.

Also, if you want to create a basic environment in Blender, and test the environment out now in a shockwave 3D environment ( with Havok physics etc ), download this ( free for personal usage ) app.

http://www.candointeractive.com/gamedesign/car

- create your scene in Blender, create an additional object and call it carStart ( it could be a simple box, positioned and sized where you want the vehicle to appear ).

Now, export it as gamelevel.xsi, and convert it to gamelevel.w3d ( replace the existing one in the downloaded folder ).

When you now run the game ( PC = .EXE, Mac = index.html ), you'll be driving around your environment.

Mal

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

The license for the python script? I had assumed that all blender scripts were distributed for free ( LGPL? ).
They are supposed to be under GPL or compatible (BSD, MIT, LGPL, etc.) for blender distribution, but if they are external tree they are whatever license the author puts them under.

The script is supposed to have a string that says the license I think.

LetterRip

joeri

Post by joeri »

Thanks.

malCanDo

Post by malCanDo »

Here's a version of our stand-alone in-house Shockwave 3D viewer.

I'm slowly modifying it so that we can release it for personal usage ( this version will time out at the end of the year... by then, we'll have a final version released )

http://www.candointeractive.com/demonst ... Viewer.zip

( PC and Mac only )

With the current Blender export path ( XSI to W3D ), you may need to place the models at position ( 0, 0, 0 ). Then, export your scene and replace the 3dscene.w3d file. When you re-run the viewer, you should see your model.

If you copy all of the files, except for the .EXE, to a folder on your website, you ( should ) then see your model.

Here's a quick example...
http://www.candointeractive.com/blender ... Viewer.htm

Feel free to post links... it may take a while to get Shockwave 3D export fully working from Blender, but at least the long journey has started :).

Regards...
Mal

malCanDo

Post by malCanDo »

The export script just got an update ( same link as above ), now supporting multi materials per mesh, and smoothing groups.

Enjoy!
Mal

DanielSefton

Post by DanielSefton »

Nice work mal, I'd like to see this actually intergrated into Blender someday :)

I don't know if it would be too much for you to change it, but could you maybe develop it so it could go as an option into the export menu? If you could do that, then that would be fantastic, I have a few 3D professionals I know that would like to get into Blender, but they got put off because there was no W3D export option...

Keep up the great work! You must be very cleaver to code something like that!

From DanielSefton
www.danielsefton.com - My CV website with tools, resources, tutorials, my work and more! || Check out some of my 3D work with Blender here.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

Daneil

just put it in your scripts folder and it will appear in that menu.

LetterRip

DanielSefton

Post by DanielSefton »

LetterRip wrote:Daneil

just put it in your scripts folder and it will appear in that menu.

LetterRip
Damit! LOL, I didn't realise it was just a python export file...the last time I used the softimage xsi converter, I seem to remember you had to fiddle around in DOS to get it to work, although it never did. I downloaded it from another website (I don't know if it was the right file or not...) Sorry about that :oops: :P

From DanielSefton
www.danielsefton.com - My CV website with tools, resources, tutorials, my work and more! || Check out some of my 3D work with Blender here.

malCanDo

Post by malCanDo »

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the feedback!

> Nice work mal, I'd like to see this actually intergrated into Blender someday

Hopefully, if a few more developers get on board, we'll be able to figure out a way of integrating the python scripting, with a modified version of the Open Source conversion tools, so SW3D export will be a single step.

> Keep up the great work! You must be very cleaver to code something like that!

Hehe, am not too clever, I'm just hacking away so that I can integrate Blender more into my Shockwave working day :).

Mal

k776

Post by k776 »

Wow. This thread is so old but still applies. Great job malCanDo. I can export a nice little collection of boxes spelling the word "HI", but when it comes to the displace modifier, it doesn't work. When I export then turn it into w3d, it shows a flat gray plane :(

So:
* Is there a newer version of this script or something similar available that I have missed in the forum searchings here and at the blenderartists forum?

* Can you please get it to work with the displace modifier? 25 people are counting on my getting a collection of tools working, and this is one of them :(

k776

Post by k776 »

Opps. The displace bug was a fault of mine that has been fixed. But the color bug remains. Although some colour exists, insted of a nice grassy textures format from a JPG file, its just plain green. Is this because of what you have on your to-do list (to support texturing)? Or another problem I'm not seeing?

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

you can apply the modifier first, then it should work,

LetterRip