Shockwave 3D export ( via XSI exporter )

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

k776

Post by k776 »

I am :S I put down the grid, 32x32. I turn to object mode, and create new texture, then the material is cloud, and I change a few other settings. Then add the displace modifierfor the grid, and put tex001. Then I switch to texture paint mode, make another texture, use an image of a nice grass, and hit tab twice. And it looks great!

Then I export it via this threads xsi export script, then use this threads mentioned xsi 2 w3d convertor (sourceforge one), and then I view it using a w3d viewer.

But no texture, just green color

malCanDo

Post by malCanDo »

Hi K776,

While the XSI2W3D converter supports textured objects, the actual XSI export script doesn't yet have this functionality fully implemented ( exporting UVs, as well as the texture names ).

You could try editing the .py script within Blender and changing it, to see if you could get it to export a simple textured plane ( eg your grass one ), and then take it from there.

Note that there are two different ways to apply a texture in Blender - the rendering way, and the Game Engine way, you might need to check for and handle both.

Mal

k776

Post by k776 »

I know nothing about py, so I can't edit it. Hence the request for you to. I relelise you are a very busy person, and the tutorial that I have to write will have the first page dedicated to listing everyone who has helped me, including youself and linking to your website.

I have the files you need if you decide. It is really important this is working by the end of the month. There is no other method of changing to w3d except through xsi2w3d convertor, and I cannot find any free programs with decent xsi export commands.
Note that there are two different ways to apply a texture in Blender - the rendering way, and the Game Engine way, you might need to check for and handle both.
No idea what each is and how to test it. All I need is the texture it be copied, then it will look perfect and ready for me to write a tutorial.

malCanDo

Post by malCanDo »

Hi k776,

Send over a simple model with either one or two simple textures ( send these as well ) , and I'll have a look to see if I can fix it up for you.

> I know nothing about py, so I can't edit it.

When I got started, I hadn't a clue about Python either, I just looked over the existing code for the exporter, and tried to identify how I could change that code enough to get basic scenes exporting.

If you're going to do more advanced XSI2W3D stuff, it might be worth taking a quick look over the code, so that you can tweak if required - Python tends to be quite readable compared to other languages.

Regards...
Mal

k776

Post by k776 »

malCanDo wrote:Send over a simple model with either one or two simple textures ( send these as well ) , and I'll have a look to see if I can fix it up for you.
http://qlwiki.linuxsolutions.co.nz/files/blender/

landscape.blend is the what it should look like when in w3d. The xsi file is what is exported. The w3d is the final output after export and conversion. And the 7 images are the different textures that should be compatable (minimum, all should work, anything else isn't need, but support for anything would be good so other can make custom templates).
malCanDo wrote:If you're going to do more advanced XSI2W3D stuff, it might be worth taking a quick look over the code, so that you can tweak if required - Python tends to be quite readable compared to other languages.
Well, I know PHP so the code isn't completly foreign. But I just dont have the time to learn Python at the moment. Maybe later next year :D

As for more advanced stuff, its just basically a grid with the displace modifier, a textured terrain, and the sun casting shadows on the hills facing away from the sun (I dont think its showing, another xsi export missing feature?).

Once thats working, I'm sure everything will be ok :D

k776

Post by k776 »

How is this going? Any progress?

k776

Post by k776 »

How is this going? Any progress?

rcrowe

Animation supported in XSI?

Post by rcrowe »

I'm really trying to get from Blender to Director, but my question is:

Does the XSI export from Blender now export animations?
Does it export bones?