Multiple Meshes - One UV Map?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

hpesoj

Multiple Meshes - One UV Map?

Post by hpesoj » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:33 am

I am fairly new to Blender, but have just about managed to grasp the UV mapping tools (and nice they are too :)). I now have a the UV maps for all the meshes in my scene, but I wish to merge the UV maps together, since the whole scene will use only one texture. The meshes are separated for animation purposes, so I don't want to merge them, I just want to be able to control the whole scene's UVs as one map. Cheers for any help in advance.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:49 am

it is not possible to be in face select mode [to edit uv coordinates] for multiple meshes simultaneously

just like it isn't possible to be in edit mode for multiple meshes simultaneously

hpesoj

Post by hpesoj » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:54 am

Ok, so is the only way to merge the meshes? Will merging meshes make animating the scene any harder?

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:52 am

[you do not want to join the objects most likely, you'd have to use hooks or armatures to animate the parts...]

why do you need to to edit the texture coordinates of all objects simultaneously?

can't you create a grid texture [say you have 16 objects, create a 4 by 4 grid] and then uvmap into the different squares different objects?

hell, if you use my automatic unwrap script it will uvmap all selected objects on a single square texture [it isn't as good [or slow] as cambo's, and has a couple bugs... but his doesn't work the same way]
http://geocities.com/z3r0_d/files/autou ... sh4.py.txt
[probably doesn't work with linked duplicates]

hpesoj

Post by hpesoj » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:53 pm

I guess I could use the grid idea. It may amount to much wasted space, but I could give it a go. Alternatively I guess I could use multiple textures, probably would be no harm in it except resulting in many file.

Cheers z3r0_d