Materials In Shaded 3D View

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

eon

Materials In Shaded 3D View

Post by eon »

Hi,

I would like to know if the possibility to see materials in the shaded 3D view is planned.

I explain : I work in an architectural visualisation firm and this feature, which is usually in other 3d apps, is a real need. The possibility to see what texture/material you apply to objects when you are in creating process is essential

Nowadays, Blender could show UV textured wihout shading. It would be cool to see UVTextured + Material (Procedural and Image Textured by Flat,Cube, Tube...) lit and shaded.

I found a trick to see them. Vertex colors take color of material with all textures an procedural textures, and can be shaded. Simply subdivide you mesh and all your vertex would show (as if they were pixels) the color of your material. Of course it's tricky because:
1. It loads your scene with useless polygons
2. It can show precisely textures without making tiny vertex mesh
3. It is difficult to modify your mesh with these subdivision applied

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

what about the "simple subdiv" subsurf type?

[or rendering at lower resolutions...]

there isn't a plan [in the near term] for interactive pixel shader display of materials, there are many workarounds

rptb1

Post by rptb1 »

Hi. I'm just wondering if this situation has changed at all. Is there a way to do this now, or a plan to implement it? I would dearly like to be able to see at least image textures while I'm editing. Many thanks.

teppic

Post by teppic »

rptb1 wrote:Hi. I'm just wondering if this situation has changed at all. Is there a way to do this now, or a plan to implement it? I would dearly like to be able to see at least image textures while I'm editing. Many thanks.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User: ... OfCode2007