feature request: repeat last action in edit mode

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

soriyath

feature request: repeat last action in edit mode

Post by soriyath »

Hello everybody,

This is my first post here. I tried to find if the feature I'm going to talk about already exists in Blender. It seems that it doesn't.

I'm not an expert user and I am not a programmer. However, I used Blender for a little time and I faced a problem.

In some meshes I was editing, I had to repeat the same action several times, like select for vertices, make a new face, unselect etc. Sometimes, it was about resizing a number of vertices as well. All the time it happened, I took a lot of time doing simple, but redondant actions.

I know that I could avoid that by carefuly thinking on the way of making my mesh beforehand, like linked duplicated, mirrored etc.

However, a function that could repeat the last action could be a good feature in edit mode, couldn't it? I mean, like the history in Photoshop. You can select several actions and make a kind of "batch".

I leave it as it is and I hope some people like the idea.

Seihes

an-toni

Post by an-toni »

i guess everyone agrees that is a good idea, and hope that it will become easy to implement after the event system refactor which coming in .. mid-term-future i guess (i hope at least within a half a year, would not mind if within three months but am not counting on it..)

~Toni

Caronte

Post by Caronte »

I agree, very nice idea ;)
Caronte.
"Some Day, All Will Be Digital"
http://www.nicodigital.com

soriyath

Post by soriyath »

Hello,

I've been working on blender lately and I found out a practical application of this.

Imagine you have a tube mesh and you want to put a "bottom" on it. So you go in edit mode, add a vertice at the center of the bottom circle and then, you start making faces with the middle vertices and two vertices of the circles. You do this until you have completly made the bottom.

If you have a 32 vertices circle or tube, this can become a very tedious job, yet simple.

Let's imagine we have some kind of "history" of actions in edit mode (much like the "undo" out of the edit mode). So, we add the center vertice, then we make one face out of three vertices. We go to this actions' history, select the last four actions (select three vertices and make one face) and make a new combined action out of it. We name it "MakeFace". Then, we can do something like SpinDup: i.e. select the "range" of the action (for example: 360degree...) and the window in which it has to be applied. I think it should be view dependent, just like SpinDup.

That's just another idea....

Caronte

Post by Caronte »

soriyath wrote:Imagine you have a tube mesh and you want to put a "bottom" on it. So you go in edit mode, add a vertice at the center of the bottom circle and then, you start making faces with the middle vertices and two vertices of the circles. You do this until you have completly made the bottom.
A macro function whould be good, but repeat the last command is more usefull for inmediate use.

BTW, a better example :twisted:
Select the top vertexs and push [E]+[Enter]+[S]+[0]+[Enter]+[W>Remove doubles] :P
Caronte.
"Some Day, All Will Be Digital"
http://www.nicodigital.com

fobsta

Post by fobsta »

Maya has a repeat last command/action button

It's a great time saver for repetitive tasks

soriyath

Post by soriyath »

BTW, a better example :twisted:
Select the top vertexs and push [E]+[Enter]+[S]+[0]+[Enter]+[W>Remove doubles] :P
Yep, that's exactly the kind of task I'm talking about.

I guess if we can only repeat one action, it would be useful but not as powerful as it could be. Maybe something like "repeat last action(s)", then a drop-down menu and we can choose which one(s). So, if you want to repeat last three actions, you hit the repeat last action hotkey and then 3! Something like that. Or maybe have two hotkeys, one for repeating only one action (or a set default number of actions, for exemple 4 or 5) and another one with a drop-down menu.

I guess the main problem would be how the script would work. How can it know on which vertex it has to apply the repetitive actions? Maybe it has to be view dependent, like SpinDup. Then we can select rings with [ alt ]+[ b ] or [ b ]. If it's not intuitive enough to use, it would not help very much....

Or maybe we can "kind of" define a vector on which to apply the modifications. Let's imagine a tube with many intersections. As if it was subdivided several times, we want to add inside faces for each intersections. We do it on one, save a batch of actions or note which ones were needed, then, with the mouse, select the direction on which to continue the last actions. So, we select the direction to the other end of the tube, and this feature would repeat it as long as it meets the same conditions as before (same number of vertexes etc.)

I guess this last feature (vector thing) would be a little be different.

Here is another idea for this repeat action feature. We have been thinking about the problem from the "repeat last action" point of view, but if we do it from "the other end", we can have interesting results. Let's imagine we have a "history of edit mode": each mesh would have an individual history of actions. We could set the number of actions to save (for memory purposes) or if we want to save it when we create the mesh (i.e. add->mesh->Plane->Save history). Then, it would be possible to apply some or all actions of one mesh to another one. With such a feature, we could still repeat last actions, since a history of actions has been saved!

I don't know what you think about this...

edit: I just thought that if we have a "simple" repeat last action feature, how will it react when we leave edit mode and return to edit mode? What would happen if we edit another mesh meanwhile? What about shutting down blender and booting it again?

ZanQdo

Post by ZanQdo »

HE-Mesh has a macro recording option, so I gess we just need to wait a bit :)
:-) Hosting for your test builds:
GraphicAll.org