Type2 AVI files unsupported?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Morgon

Type2 AVI files unsupported?

Post by Morgon » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:30 pm

(Disclaimer) - I don't really know much about differences in .avi formats. (/Disclaimer)

I work in video editing/ graphic design, and I'm trying to use Blender for motion graphics, by using the sequencer with my footage and Blender's graphics. I am trying to load the DV camcorder captures into the sequencer, and they load fine, but the previewer will only show a mosaic of colored squares. It seems as if it can't read the codec.

Investigating the codec the video is encoded into, I've found that my capture program (Sonic Foundry Vegas 4) is capturing Type2 .avi files. This is the only format it'll capture.

I asked on the IRC channels about this, and they seemed pretty suprised that my .avi's weren't working. One of the guys was telling me about the ffmpeg integration that's coming into Blender (possibly on the next release?), but I was unclear as to whether or not this is a fix to the Type2 problem.

I'm really just trying to find out whether anyone knows if you can import captured DV footage into the sequencer, and if so, what's the deal with my pc? If not, is the Type2 format going to be supported in the future?

I feel like it would be good idea for Blender to support this, because you would open up the application to the entire DV editing/effects community easier.

If this is a problem with Type2 .avi's not being supported, then I suppose I'll have to convert the footage to another format such as mpeg or QT, and then load it in.

Any insight/ information on this is appreciated. Thanks!

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:08 am

in windows blender will use the codecs availble on your system [an avi file can be compressed using any number of codecs... blender has native support for only raw and avi jpeg codecs]. ffmpeg support will allow blender to support many codecs more natively, similar to how on windows blender will use the avaible windows codecs.

what os are you running? you can play a dv file in windows media player [if in windows...] right?

Oso

Re: Type2 AVI files unsupported?

Post by Oso » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:13 pm

Morgon wrote:[text snipped]

Investigating the codec the video is encoded into, I've found that my capture program (Sonic Foundry Vegas 4) is capturing Type2 .avi files. This is the only format it'll capture.

[text snipped]
Morgon,

I use both Vegas and Blender, but I haven't tried doing what you're trying specifically; I usually go the other direction. I'll do some tests and see if I can come up with an answer for you.