How Does Current Half-Edge Development Relate to N-Gons?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

joeri

Post by joeri »

Sonic TH wrote:I agree, blender's lack of N-gons is really holding it back. Without N-Gons and an improved shader system blender will be behind the curve no matter how great it is otherwise.
I don't believe this is true for every blender user.

I would only welcome a half mesh if all the current (and future) tools would work on it. And not some new entity inside blender where half of the tools work on and some not. Where developers need to write two implementations of their tools, one for current mesh and one for half mesh. At some point blender had 2 bone systems; bad idea.
So if it could fully replace the current mesh (and be backward and forward compatible) then the n-gons would be an added feature to all blender users.

Sonic TH

Post by Sonic TH »

Thanks for voluntering and implementing this great feature in the next (2.41) release. Can't wait to use it.....
Whoa, back up, what I meant to say was besides the person who started it I don't think anyone will work on HE-mesh. Perhaps I should have been more clear. I myself am more of a user, I have not learned C, I only have a limited knowledge of basic, java script and PHP. Though if I did know C I'd already be working on it.

As for better fake-gons, it'd just be a waste of time in my opinion. N-gons are just a managed group of tris. By the time you make Fake-gons that do what the N-gon camps wants, you might as well of made N-gons anyway.
I would only welcome a half mesh if all the current (and future) tools would work on it. And not some new entity inside blender where half of the tools work on and some not. Where developers need to write two implementations of their tools, one for current mesh and one for half mesh. At some point blender had 2 bone systems; bad idea.
So if it could fully replace the current mesh (and be backward and forward compatible) then the n-gons would be an added feature to all blender users.
I couldn't agree more, that's what bugged me about the way HE-mesh was being implemented but I try not to look a gift horse in the mouth as I would be glad to have N-gons, the tools would follow. But also on that point, if you make Half-Edge meshes separate for the old mesh code you'll have to double some code to get tools to work on it. Or just make new tools for HE-mesh only which will mean even more repeated code.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

True Ngons require the completely new mesh structure and rewriting all of the tools to use the new structure. Fgons that are equivalent to Ngons requires making the fgon code a bit more sophisticated and updating the tools.

Given the current code base improving fgons is probably less codework. Of course Joedh might have free time this winter break, so perhaps he will continue working on it.

LetterRip