Request: Confirm exit in a better way

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

bleen

Request: Confirm exit in a better way

Post by bleen »

one request i wish to see is a better confirmation für the exit on the Q-KEY. it s*cks often that you´re playing piano on the keyboard in blender and you´re hit a wrong key and...blender quits. when i remember right, there was such "feature" in a tuhopuu version, i´m very disappointed about, that you quits blender often unintentional. it will be very useful and nice, when this confirmation have a OK and a NO and the point will be at NO and not on OK.
in my eyes a very useful "feature".

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

NOT THIS AGAIN!

next time you start blender after unintentionally quitting go file->recover last session

bleen

Post by bleen »

...to quit blender and recover last session are two different points in my eyes. it sucks to quit blender unintentional and that´s why i want to request this "feature" here.

z3r0_d

Re: Request: Confirm exit in a better way

Post by z3r0_d »

bleen wrote:when this confirmation have a OK and a NO and the point will be at NO and not on OK.
in my eyes a very useful "feature".
so moving the mouse off of the dialog will quit blender?

every other dialog in blender the non-default option is chosen when you move the cursor off of the dialog. [so does pressing esc]... You have to hit enter, click [without moving the mouse much] or hit the number 1 to confirm the quit dialog.

Also, what happens when someone closes the window?

what about prompting to save? do we always prompt to save? how do we decide what's a change that warrants need for saving?

do we also warn that saving will make unlinked materials, meshes, actions, images, textures and worlds disappear?

I think the quit behavior should not be changed [interface wise]... but my opinion has as much weight as yours.

best thread on this topic here:
http://blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5103

joeri

Post by joeri »

I'm with z3r0_d.

Then again, now that blender crashes less often than what it used todo people might actualy use Q to quit blender.

But I'm all for as less pop-ups as possible in any situation.
And no "thinking for me". (Are you sure?, Do you want to save?, Shall I download a newer version?, Tip of the day: Use File->New to start a project.)
I've got other things to do than reading (and waiting on) all these good intentions from helpfull programmers.

This topic will come back and back and back for (I think) the next reasons:

Beginners vs Professionals
Methaphore vs Toolset
(Modern O.S. vs Computer/Calculator)

These are very hard to combine.

rcas

Post by rcas »

The only thing I dislike on using Q to quit is that I stumble upon it many times because it is very near to the A key, that I use all the time.

My only request would be a combination of SHIFT + Q to, or CTRL + Q, or ALT + Q, or even CTRL + ALT + Q to quit, just to avoid missing the A key and having to start Blender again.

What I do all the time is keep saving the scene once I change something, so if I unintentionally press the Q key I won't have killing a whole "work day" so to speak.

My 2 cents.

-- RCAS --
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

bleen

Post by bleen »

@rcas:

this might be a solution for the Q-KEY to combine a "new" shortcut for quitting blender.
without a real changing it would be nice that the confirm doesn´t start on OK (the pointer)...it´s stupid to hit a/"the" wrong key while i´m in action with blender and very hard to handle right.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

We already have Ctrl-Q for quiting, so why not drop QKEY - since it is redundant? They we could free up the key for another useful shortcut.

LetterRip

rcas

Post by rcas »

LetterRip wrote:We already have Ctrl-Q for quiting, so why not drop QKEY - since it is redundant? They we could free up the key for another useful shortcut.

LetterRip
I would be happy with that ;) .
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

bleen

Post by bleen »

LetterRip wrote:We already have Ctrl-Q for quiting, so why not drop QKEY - since it is redundant? They we could free up the key for another useful shortcut.

LetterRip

yeah, that would really solve it! i would be glad.