action window icon

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Toon_Scheur

action window icon

Post by Toon_Scheur »

I think that the icon for the action windows should change. This makes more sense.

Duoas

Post by Duoas »

While cute, and mneumonic, I disagree. The problem is that a sceneboard has other associations with it. It could equally be applied to the IPO Curve Editor or the Sequence Editor, etc.

I tend to prefer Blender's default images because they are either unique or have a clear association.

Of course, if you want to compile your own it's not to hard to change the button images.

Toon_Scheur

Post by Toon_Scheur »

I just taught it's when the director yells "ACTION!"
The default icon is not descriptive.

Duoas

Post by Duoas »

Yes, that's the verbal-mnemonic part.

In UI design, it has been shown that using images solely for their verbal-mnemonic association is a bad idea --for precicely the reason I stated above: an image has other association(s) with it which are stronger than any mnemonic association. Also, the mnemonic association might break across language barriers.

The Action Editor is really for keyframing, and has nothing to do with staging, recording (encoding), or rendering, which are also valid associations with the sceneboard.

I'm a little weirded-out by the little bionic gingerbread man too... but it has no incumbent associations with it. When I see it the only thing I think of is the Action Editor.

I suppose it is designed that way because of the workflow association with Pose Mode... but I've no great love or hate of the figure...