Feature Idea: Embedded Hotkey Actions

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Ongnissim

Feature Idea: Embedded Hotkey Actions

Post by Ongnissim »

Hello Devs,

I was working on a project yesterday, and I had a revelation:

Would life be simpler if Blender included an option to scale the distance between 2 objects?
For example: I had 2 masses of water in a scene, and I realized that I had positioned them to far apart. Me, being low on time, did not wish to manually move the objects closer together, but I did. It left me thinking, however, "Wouldn't it be easier to just scale to positions of the center points of the two objects, so that they'd be closer?" I wondered if perhaps this would be easy to implement, as it would be a big time-saver for many different situations...

Hold on Tight,
Ongnissim

EDIT: See Next Post By Me for Improved Idea/Request
Last edited by Ongnissim on Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

There is a button beside the centers menu that does 'centers only', that is what you want to turn of to do that.

LetterRip

Ongnissim

Post by Ongnissim »

I wasn't aware of that, BUT, if there was a hotkey for this action, I would be much obliged, since most of the time that will not be in use. I figure, that if pressing "G" and going into grab mode, then pressing "S" immdietly afterwards should logically turn off that centers button, and allow them to scales the centers. Afterwards, undoing that button, thereby removing those steps completely.

Just an afterthought...

Hold on Tight,
Ongnissim

theeth

Post by theeth »

Just use Push/Pull (Shift-P).

It's a non-proportionnal scaling option. That means all elements are pulled or pushed away from the center an equal distance.

Been in there since the transform refactor.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Ongnissim

Post by Ongnissim »

:oops:

I'm so sorry I missed both of these... I guess Blender has so many features that some of them get hidden by the others...

Hold on Tight,
Ongnissim

(I do reiterate though, that the "G", then "S"-key combination would be cool though... And something similar could be used to move objects from their center when you rotate them all, then press "G" or "S" (I cannot decide which one seems more logical to me...) Though that can be done other ways as well... I guess their pointless, but embedded hotkeys like that can add all sorts of functionality to different things. Imagine "Extrude-rotate" for making screws :shock: and/or "Extrude-Grab" (Not as cool though) for making long extrusion chains(?) until you press ESC of the right-mouse button. I know you can do that by CTRL-Clicking now (Which is really cool, devs) but it isn't as fast as a continuous stream of extrusions, for speed modelling... I think that this is a bit much to ask, but the farther down the line of hotkeys you go, you can most likely find a bunch of different combinations that would wourk well when combined in a embedded manner...)