My list of GUI enhancements...

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Rick3D

My list of GUI enhancements...

Post by Rick3D » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:02 am

Text fields
I was really hoping that the text field editing features that showed up in tuhopuu some time ago would make it to 4.0. Specifically, having the ability to highlight text, replacing highlighted text when typing and highlighting all text in a field when entering the field. Also, when in a field, TABKey advances to next field and ENTERKey exits edit mode.

Transforms
When transforming an object with the mouse, i.e. scaling, it's frustrating when the cursor hits the side of the screen and can go no further. Especially if I am attempting to transform to a specific value. Since the position of the cursor has no significance during transformation, could the cursor be frozen or hidden while the mouse is used to transform the object without restriction?

Layers
I know there's been alot of discussion about this, so I'll make this quick. Why not manage named layers as a top or second level in the hierarchy of the Outliner view, along with icons displayed to the right to toggle visibility, locked state, etc.

Edit Mode
Edge slide is cool. Vertex slide would be nice too.

Blender
Blender is incredible! Keep up the great work.

Rick

theeth

Re: My list of GUI enhancements...

Post by theeth » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:42 am

Rick3D wrote:Transforms
When transforming an object with the mouse, i.e. scaling, it's frustrating when the cursor hits the side of the screen and can go no further. Especially if I am attempting to transform to a specific value. Since the position of the cursor has no significance during transformation, could the cursor be frozen or hidden while the mouse is used to transform the object without restriction?
That's on my long todo list.
Rick3D wrote:Edit Mode
Edge slide is cool. Vertex slide would be nice too.
Slide on what? On an edge ring?

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Rick3D

Post by Rick3D » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:52 am

Slide along an edge, between two vertices. Much like edgeslide, except with a single vertex--like a bead along a string. For example, when I subdivide, I want to move a vertex that was created in the middle of a line along that line. I realize I can select a neighboring vertex, then the one I want to move, and scale the vertex, but it would be nice to be able to slide it just as I would with edgeslide.

Rick

theeth

Post by theeth » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:39 am

How would you choose which edges it slides along?

Really, what I'm asking for here (and I'm pretty sure other devs will agree) is to have some sort of workflow proposal as far as UI is concerned.

The problem is not the code, it's how you interface with it. :)

Martin
- John Lennon

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:31 am

theeth which edge to slide along could be based on mouse location relative to the edges and motion relative to the original mouse location.

Ie take the vector from original vert/mouse location to current mouse location. and decompose the vector relative to the two nearest edges connected to the vert.

LetterRip

Rick3D

Post by Rick3D » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:52 am

Good question. When you do an edgeslide and the edge has more than one available path, the direction the mouse is moved selects the path. Would a similar approach work with a vertex slide?

On the other hand...

Originally, I figured that a vertex would slide only along two adjoined edges that were aligned in the same direction, which would limit the choice of paths. I can see a usefulness, however, to being able to slide in the direction of any edge. When you do a loopcut, you conveniently use the middle wheel to set the number of loopcuts, or if performing a single loopcut, to select an edge around the loop. Could you use the wheel (or arrow keys) to select a connected edge and then constrain movement of the vertex along that edge? This might even work to allow the vertex to not only slide in along an edge, but also to slide out (sort of like an extrusion of a single vertex). Perhaps what I'm thinking of is more a directional constraint than a "slide".

Thanks!
Rick

theeth

Post by theeth » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:02 am

LetterRip wrote:theeth which edge to slide along could be based on mouse location relative to the edges and motion relative to the original mouse location.

Ie take the vector from original vert/mouse location to current mouse location. and decompose the vector relative to the two nearest edges connected to the vert.
That would mean either a two step action ("select direction" -> "move along") or screwing up menu access, where the original mouse when activating the function will most likely not be near the edge you want to choose.

Rick3D: if what you want is just being able to use edge as transform constraints, than you can rest assure that it's gonna be there soon. :)

Martin
- John Lennon

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:20 am

You could also do it as a vector from the original mouse location. Which you would translate as if it were at the vertex location.

LetterRip

Rick3D

Post by Rick3D » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:21 am

theeth wrote:Rick3D: if what you want is just being able to use edge as transform constraints, than you can rest assure that it's gonna be there soon. :)
That's great. Wouldn't using an edge as a transform constraint produce the equivalent effect of a "vertexslide"? I like the idea of using the wheel (or arrow keys) to select the edge. It works well when selecting an edge during a loopcut.

Regarding text editing... I really liked the way it worked in tuhopuu. Will we see it any time soon? Please!!! :) Forgive me for asking, but it's a real time saver.

Thanks!
Rick

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:25 am

Rick3D,

the text editing will probably be in 2.41

LetterRip

Rick3D

Post by Rick3D » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:32 am

Thanks LetterRip! Just knowing it's coming will keep me satisfied for now.

Rick

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:27 pm

Rick3D wrote:Regarding text editing... I really liked the way it worked in tuhopuu. Will we see it any time soon? Please!!! :) Forgive me for asking, but it's a real time saver.
Uh? It's already in bf-blender CVS and will be in the 2.40 release.

Mohij

Earlier proposals

Post by Mohij » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:41 pm

I proposed the transform request a long time ago, here under point 5.
The edge slide thing could be solved with a widget tool that is alignable along edges. I proposed that here, theeth is already working on thatone.
Greetings,
Mohij
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue. Proverbs 17,28

Rick3D

Post by Rick3D » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:26 am

Mohij,

You're right, it would save alot of time. If I'm trying to scale several objects, one at a time, to a specific factor of the original, I must complete the transform in one step. If I hit the edge of the screen, I have to cancel, and retry. I can increase how fast the mouse scales by starting the transform closer to the center but I lose precision. I would rather the mouse be left in the location where the transform is started and hidden rather than moved to the center of the screen. One program I've seen simply wraps it from one edge to the other--not sure if I like that, though.

Widgets are ok as long as they're optional (my opinion). I prefer to work without the widgets.

Rick

Rick3D

Post by Rick3D » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:43 am

Uh? It's already in bf-blender CVS and will be in the 2.40 release.
It is, indeed. Not sure how I missed it, but very happy to see it there. Thanks, broken!

Rick