A few newbie thoughts...

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Marianne

A few newbie thoughts...

Post by Marianne »

Hi i just got blender and am trying to learn it... it seems awesome and feature-packed but i just can't get the GUI... i know it's been discussed a lot, how, for instance, radio buttons don't look like radio buttons, etc. but i also guess a big flaw is trying to shove everything in the same frame.

i mean, i just saw this:
MA OB ME 1 Mat 1 VCol lig VCol Pain full osa wire zinvert ray mir fresnel zoffs IOR Fac TE OfsX glob Orco DrawKe UpX

i hoenestly can't understand these options... of course there are the docs but blender has so many functions that it'd take years to get them all!

why is everything shoved in such little space? there isn't even room for displaying the whole words.... sometimes i wish there was an "options" button you could click on and have a window pop-up with nice radiobuttons/checkboxes and complete words

file selecton dialogs could also be in a different frame...

thanks! Blender looks awesome, but really the GUI seems to me i'd have an easier time coding my own 3d app than learning blender (joking of course)

fonz2591

Post by fonz2591 »

I know the UI can be a bit intimidating for new users....

The blender Doc is located at:
http://www.blender3d.org/documentation/htmlI/
It helps a lot

It actually only takes a few months to know blender inside and out :P
But i know where you're coming from. Just hang in there, and don't quit.
If you need help, my AIM/Yahoo is: fonz2591 :P

www.elysiun.com is also a very helpful forum.

wrbcreations

Post by wrbcreations »

Marianne, I totally hear you on this. I have been using blender, or toying with it for about 6 months now, it is rather hard to find what does what when you first start using blender.

However, if you give it a try, blenders general interface is one of the quickest to get used to once you find what is what and where it is.

In september there was a Tuhopuu 3 testbuild of a new user interface which set things out beautifully and in an easy to understand method, one where the buttons were readable, but from what I understand this project has been stopped...so, to help with the current interface. there is the function where you can enlarge or decrease the buttons window using the + or - buttons on your key pad.

As with any 3d application though the learning curve is great, but it is much harder for newbies in blender because as you said everything is squashed.

If only this point were to be addressed, an easier to read interface, then I am sure blender would be intergrated into alot of architecture, drafting, designing, and graphics companies software list. It is actually the inability to understand what is where that turns so many away, as they say 'first appearances count the most'.

But don't give up, this is one of the fastest growing and developed software on the net today, and we do have to keep in mind it is open source, so if you can program your own 3d application, why not join the developers and help them to redesign the interafce in a way that would be most beneficial for the community in general. I would if I could, but I am self taught at most things I do, and I have no idea where to start designing software, or interfaces. :? :) :)

Marianne

Post by Marianne »

yeah thanks i'll be doing my best ;)

if i was just a *little* better at programming (and of course i knew about blender!) i'd try doing it myself ;) but till now i'll read the docs and hope a miracle will happen in a future version

thanks

kAinStein

Re: A few newbie thoughts...

Post by kAinStein »

Marianne wrote:Hi i just got blender and am trying to learn it...
Congratulations and welcome!
it seems awesome and feature-packed but i just can't get the GUI... i know it's been discussed a lot, how, for instance, radio buttons don't look like radio buttons, etc. but i also guess a big flaw is trying to shove everything in the same frame.
What do radio buttons look like? And where? There are numerous different ways radio buttons are drawn throughout several GUIs. They don't look like the radio buttons in Windows, of course, but now you've realized the functionality behind them, you should know, shouldn't you? ;)
i mean, i just saw this:
MA OB ME 1 Mat 1 VCol lig VCol Pain full osa wire zinvert ray mir fresnel zoffs IOR Fac TE OfsX glob Orco DrawKe UpX
Those are options for creating and assigning materials to objects. There should be tooltips that give a little more information, but probably you should read the documentation or try things out while doing stuff because some of those buttons are really bound to the way Blender organises its data internally. Others use basic terms of 3D graphics - so you might have difficulties in understanding them if this is your first contact with 3D. So don't get scared of it!
i hoenestly can't understand these options... of course there are the docs but blender has so many functions that it'd take years to get them all!
True. Blender is hard to learn. So is any other 3D package, too. But in my opinion you can work more efficiently with Blender.

You won't come around of reading the documentation and doing some tutorials. As you mentioned: Blender (and 3D software in general) is very complex. It'll take time to learn the basics and I would recommend to do some basic tutorials in modeling and texturing for the beginning. After that things should be much more clearer.
why is everything shoved in such little space? there isn't even room for displaying the whole words.... sometimes i wish there was an "options" button you could click on and have a window pop-up with nice radiobuttons/checkboxes and complete words
You can zoom the complete UI in and out with NUMPAD+ and NUMPAD-. If it doesn't fix it - well - ignore it! :lol:
file selecton dialogs could also be in a different frame...
Do you mean with frame another window? Blender is based on a different philosophy: Non-overlapping windows. Instead of overlapping windows you've got the possibility to split up the screen for your needs and create some kind of screen profiles. Click on the top where you see "SCR:" on the select button and select another screen (or use CTRL-Cursorleft/CTRL-Cursorright) to see what I mean. Take a look into the documentation (I know - I'm repeating myself!) to see how to create your screens.
thanks! Blender looks awesome, but really the GUI seems to me i'd have an easier time coding my own 3d app than learning blender (joking of course)
It looks harder than it really is. Of course you won't master Blender in 2 weeks, but you wouldn't master 3D Studio Max either in that period of time.

If you've got trouble in getting around with Blender you still can ask in the forums at http://www.elysiun.com/.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

The new UI from Tuhopuu3 will be ported over, was going to happen for 2.40 but the two primary people working on it are in the middle of the Orange Project movie, and thus the the rest will wait for 2.41

sorry, but we just finally had to decide to put a release, the rate at which new stuff is added is insane :) So if we waited for all pending features we would never release :)

There are two quick start guides to help a new user,

see

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54567

for details,

LetterRip

wrbcreations

Post by wrbcreations »

:D
LetterRip
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:09 am Post subject:
The new UI from Tuhopuu3 will be ported over, was going to happen for 2.40 but the two primary people working on it are in the middle of the Orange Project movie, and thus the the rest will wait for 2.41

sorry, but we just finally had to decide to put a release, the rate at which new stuff is added is insane Smile So if we waited for all pending features we would never release Smile

There are two quick start guides to help a new user,

see

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54567

for details,

LetterRip
Thanks for posting here too LetterRip, I was just going to pass on the same message that you just gave me on my enquiry.

There you are Marrianne, wait till 2.41 for the latest in user interfaces, till then, just go through the same channels everyone else has till the newer UI is released. Believe me, from I have seen of it, it is worth the wait.

By the way blender isn't all that hard to learn really, just jump in and get your feet wet.

joeri

Post by joeri »

I was walking into this free airplane and saw the cockpit.
Wauw how great is that?
But then I saw all the buttons and switches and most of them didn't even look like real switches to me. And there where so many of them!!! Lots of them where labeled with strange words. I've been driving cars for many years now so this cockpit looked all wrong.

It probably will take years before I understand what all the buttons can do. Specially because I don't intent to read any documentation and I expect all the buttons of this airplane to explain themselfs.

When are the free airplane builders going to fix this?

Thank you.
(just joking of course)

When the words don't fit your button space then best boost up your gfx card. A 1280x1024 at 32 bit colordepth is a minimum to create any sensible image or animation. btw. All windows are zoomable into any scale. It's in the manual.