High spec GUI low spec box.

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

djfuego

High spec GUI low spec box.

Post by djfuego » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:42 pm

I've been using Blender on high spec GFX machines for a while now so it came as a bit of a shock :shock: when I tried blender on a 2ghz celery (Celleron) chip with 256meg and an on board 8 meg gfx chip (Sis 650) The Menu was painfully slow. I remember back on an old 1ghz with NT and an ati 4 meg it ued to be a lot nippier (1999).

My question is can there be more options to tone down or turn off the gui effects. and have basic buttons and menus. Turn off transparencies and shading because it doesn't 'Do' anything for me.

If this is allready possible in the themes setup then slap me with a mouldy kipper but I haven't seen anything as of late.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Re: High spec GUI low spec box.

Post by jesterKing » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:59 pm

djfuego wrote:I've been using Blender on high spec GFX machines for a while now so it came as a bit of a shock :shock: when I tried blender on a 2ghz celery (Celleron) chip with 256meg and an on board 8 meg gfx chip (Sis 650) The Menu was painfully slow. I remember back on an old 1ghz with NT and an ati 4 meg it ued to be a lot nippier (1999).

My question is can there be more options to tone down or turn off the gui effects. and have basic buttons and menus. Turn off transparencies and shading because it doesn't 'Do' anything for me.

If this is allready possible in the themes setup then slap me with a mouldy kipper but I haven't seen anything as of late.
Your problem is most likely the SiS chip. As for the GUI effects, blender hasn't got any flashy effects I'm aware of. Naturally, the entire GUI is OpenGL, so you need a video card with good OpenGL support.

/Nathan

kAinStein

Re: High spec GUI low spec box.

Post by kAinStein » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:59 pm

djfuego wrote:I've been using Blender on high spec GFX machines for a while now so it came as a bit of a shock :shock: when I tried blender on a 2ghz celery (Celleron) chip with 256meg and an on board 8 meg gfx chip (Sis 650) The Menu was painfully slow. I remember back on an old 1ghz with NT and an ati 4 meg it ued to be a lot nippier (1999).
I use Blender on a 600Mhz Athlon with a 6 year old graphics card and it isn't slower than on an uptodate machine.

The problem is that you don't have any hardware-acceleration for OpenGL!
Blender requires a 3D accelerated graphics card that supports OpenGL. We strongly recommend making sure you are using the latest version of the drivers for your graphics card before attempting to run Blender. (taken from http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Graphics_Cards.201.0.html)
So you don't match the requirements.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:38 pm

just use a software opengl driver and it should work fine,

LetterRip