Direct X with animations from Blender 2.40

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

womanonfire

Direct X with animations from Blender 2.40

Post by womanonfire »

I know the official release has just come out. But... those of us who depend on exporting the .x format would like to remind those of you who code that:
There are three or four .x exporters but... none of them actually work. Even before this new version there were problems with exporting x files.
This post is a hope, a plea, a down on the knees begging, that someone will work to update one of those exporters to _work_ with the new version of Blender (um, soon, we hope ;) )

thank you.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

the bundled one with 2.40 doesn't work for animation? Or?

Also could you post links to all the different versions - and we can see about merging the best bits of each.

LetterRip

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

Also it would be good to know which, if any previously work for animation.

LetterRip

womanonfire

Post by womanonfire »

I hope there are some others who can add their opinions on the exporters as well. I am just stating my personal experiences with them.

-the bundled exporter ("DirectX") states that it is for meshes only. It has had a notice "not armature yet" since Blender 2.34
-there is Ben Omari's exporter which does work for some things... But it gave inconsistent results with the game engine I'm using (Quest 3d) so I gave up on it. In 2.40 it still works for some things, but not animation yet (he might update it?)
- the exporter that was working for us consistently in 2.37 was the "Direct X exporter mod" of Omari's script.
http://development.mindfloaters.de/Dire ... d.8.0.html
It is the one I would most like to see working again. Currently it throws up a python error (probably because of the new armature system?) I tried emailing the author directly but he didn't write back... so I don't know if he will work on it again or not.

Ben

Post by Ben »

-Hi guys!
-I'm working on updating the exporter for the 240.It needs some days
to be ready(I got the new API two days before).I'm going to change also
some things were which was intended to be done in Blender before
exporting(mentioned in the documentation too).No one read documentation
before using the exporter!!!
womanonfire wrote: -the bundled exporter ("DirectX") states that it is for meshes only. It has had a notice "not armature yet" since Blender 2.34
-The ("DirectX") works for the versions of DX7 or lower.Someone asked me to leave the old version.Anyway,It can be cancelled from the official version.
womanonfire wrote:- the exporter that was working for us consistently in 2.37 was the "Direct X exporter mod" of Omari's script.
http://development.mindfloaters.de/Dire ... d.8.0.html
-this is a modified version written by Jox, which was intended to work for Irrlicht.After modifying the DirectX8 Exporter ,I can ask him to modifie
this exporter .Anyway I can not work on it directly.

Ben

oin

Post by oin »

First, than you very much for your effort. *.x format has become really important as character animation game format.

I was one of your testers for the first versions. It was really rewarding to see it evolving.

I think your decision of leave also a dx7 version working is good, and yet very usable. Maybe it could be seen clearer if it said "directx 7", but most of the people familiar with all about x will know anyway.

The irrlicht version is specially useful for Irrlicht. I know the guy who made it. I will do my try to contact him, too. Is very good for that engine that it exists.

It would be amazing to see and test your x exporter for 2.40. I have been making yesterday my own rig with the final 2.40, and actually the work in animation is superb. In no time I had a rig I was happy with for game animation.

In relation to the doc; yes, almost noone read it. Even when your doc at the site is very clear, short and easy to understand. One of the problems is most of people coming to start using blender from game field, start with Blender for its animation and export capabilities, so don't know blender very much. That's why they get lost often with the "same location and rotation step", etc.(but IMHO, is good that they come, blender is possibly expanding a lot its users base this way...) Others just don't know even basically what the x format by itself actually supports. And even more, some get also the problem of not knowing what of the x format is supported by that or that another game engine...I have solved loads of issues to users with x format and Blender or other packages exporting it. is also a complex format, not only 3 features like others. Almost none did know the ctrl+a step ;) .So I guess they did not see or read the doc...

For all the 'seasoned' x exporting people, it'd be a great thing to have it at 2.40. So, thanks a lot, again :)

I could name dozens of game engines already actively using the x format for their character animations. And most 3d packages importing/exporting it by third party plugins. (it becomes a fantastic way to exchange character animations between packages, I know by experience)

I'm really happy reading this from you :)

Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi oin!
-It will be useful to test, the exporter(exporters which
exports skeleton and its animations are so problematic).
You can send me a private message with your e-mail
and I'll e-mail just the first version is ready.Maybe it will
require some time, because as I've seen there are a lot of
things to be changed.

Ben

oin

Post by oin »

Ben, glad to talk to you :)

As PMs do not work here, I have taken the freedom of sending you an email directly, to one email address you have somewhere at your site. I hope you don't mind...

Yes, exporters with bones have loads of issues, but the good thing is in the art side one get to be familiar with most , specially with x format ;)
I think (and wish) I can be of help :)

cekuhnen

Post by cekuhnen »

i am glad to see the x eporter. for our virtual reality / game design class we teach the students blitz 3d basic which is quite a powrefull engine and a well working x exporter would help us even more to switch from maya to blender.
not every student will have acess to maya after the bfa. and quite some kids have plans to work on own games etc. well good luck with that but having access to a well working pipeline of apps will help a lot.

oin

Post by oin »

cekhunnen, there are a lot of engines supporting x format (irrlicht, darkbasic pro, gamestudio, truevision3d, quest3d, etc...Just to mention a few, there are really many ) but Blitz3d x format supported is the one without bones and weights. That x format is ok for space ships, etc, and while is better than a *.3ds, this other format would also do for static meshes, space ships, etc.

I guess you refer to the possibility of using the 50$ Ultimate Unwrap to import a weighted character animation x file, and export from there as *.b3d ? As I know that works perfect, I've used that.

Other than that, if you really need to use Blitz3d for your students instead of any of the above mentioned, Blitz3d also opens md2 (though I personally much prefer x, but I even use md2 at work, too) which you could export from blender with bob's plugin.

But there x is a more advanced format, as well as b3d also is.
(ie, as one of the issues, no spline interpolation in md2...well, the b3d engine does not support that interpolation either anyway...) ..bad shading, only one texture per model...limit of 4096 vertices, non 2 uv vertex per vertex...

Just to be of some help, as I see is for students.

womanonfire

Post by womanonfire »

Ben! cool that you are here =)
I look forward to the exporter. and if you need another tester, i can help with that also. I don't know why the Irrilicht mod exporter worked so well with Quest 3d. I am hoping that you update will be work as well anyway.

Thank you for working on the .x exporter in general. sometimes this becomes a forgotten format (i have horror stories from my years as a Maya user.) :wink: