Feature request: Brushes and texture brushes (paint mode)

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

soriyath

Feature request: Brushes and texture brushes (paint mode)

Post by soriyath »

Hello!

I'm not sure if it has been posted yet and/or if there's any work going on.

I've discovered yesterday a program called ZBrush. It is kind of an expensive tool (500USD).

I'm not going to ask a feature that does what ZBrush does, but I saw this video tutorial on texturing with it and I thought of a possible "improvement" of Blender.

There are two videos, the first one introduce the textures used as brushes and the other one, the more interesting one, is the man actually painting his model with the textures. You can find the video on Pixologic's website, under ZClassRoom->Artists in action.

Video 1
Video 2

So, basically, it is brushes. We have a tool for painting a material, for painting vertexes and for painting textures. However, and I guess I'm not the first one to say that (I'm pretty sure the coders are aware of that, too), there's only a single, default, brush.

It'd be nice if we could have some more brushes, of course. However, if we could use images as a brushes, that'd be very cool. If you saw the video tutorial, you'd understand really quickly.

We could use images as brushes, set up the opacity and maybe other settings (size, contrast, intensity of the colors, etc.) and use it to paint a model.

Again, I'm not criticising neither Blender, nor the developers. I really do respect the amazing work everybody is putting up. I just thought that it would be a cool feature, especially for the people who are not familiar with Unwrapping or do not have the time to do it.

womball

Post by womball »

I requested a simliar feature in the feature request area, however, I think its an amazing idea. And definetly deserves inlcusion. It would be nice not to have to UV map characters.
YAR!!!!

soriyath

Post by soriyath »

Yep, I think it will make the paint modes much more attractive. I'm sure most people use them more than I do, but then, I'm learning from scratch.

I think that UV mapping is definitely important and that "power-users" will always do that. However, even for people who UV maps easily, this tool could allow some fine tuning "on-the-fly" (for example, add some wrinkles from a photograph). Or maybe, even erase the seam of the unwrapped mesh by "smudging" it.