The Best OS for Blender

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Jacks_Depression

The Best OS for Blender

Post by Jacks_Depression »

I'm slowly approaching the point where I can start getting my first 64 bit computer built and working. So this it the time to make the major decisions. I have already settled on motherboard and hard drives. I will have windows XP 64 bit edition.
The question is... Do I want to install a Linux partition to work in blender? I have experimented in Linux before and I know how to make Fedora Core 4 to read ntfs file format.

Is Blender more friendly to Linux? Is there any pros that would make the hours of configurations worth it?
- Bryan

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

blender is often faster in linux

however you will not be able to use quicktime or windows video codecs there. And the usual configuration issues with graphics drivers...

mpan3

Post by mpan3 »

First of, if you are running a mid-entry CPU, ie Athlon XP, Pentium 4 or any other single core processor, XP is often sufficient and is comparable with other linux distros. especially considering the fact that graphic driver (used to draw GUI and games) are often much better optmized in XP than any other linux.

But XP (even x64) doesn't take FULL advantage of x64/dual/quad/SMP or clusters, and that's where linux comes in... :wink:

Jacks_Depression

Having read a lot of reviews about 64 bit and XP 64 edition. I hear that if you want to use 64x with windows to wait for Vista. I'm not going to buy vista though... I tried a trial and found it was just a bigger version of XP's SP2.

Tell me more about video codec issues...
I am a consultant for digital media products but I specialize in web development. So I will want all my rendered projects to get to a flv format eventually. Thus meaning I need to get it to quicktime first and run it though the windows based macromedia (adobe) flv encoder.

I can get Linux and Windows to read/write to the same ntfs partition. Can still render in Linux and still get it to flv on the windows partition???
- Bryan

SirDude

Post by SirDude »

Short answer if your on linux your pretty much stuck with avi
output for animations (and or saving single frames in some format)

You can use external tools to convert them though to other formats
so, the long answer is it will be a bit more work under linux to get
it into quicktime but I'm pretty sure its doable and the situation
will only improve in the future.

joeri

Post by joeri »

Because you are encoding in windows you could do a intermediate conversion pass in blender from tga sequence to uncompressed qt.
This is lossless and will eat little time. I don't know if it will be faster then rendering under windows.
Ofcourse you could forget about windows and linux and move to osX... :)

Jacks_Depression

The problem with switching to mac... I am building my own computer and I am pretty sure you cant build a mac without buying real specific parts.
- Bryan

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

render to png on linux then convert to your prefered output format on windows.

However ffmpeg support is coming soon (after 2.41) which should make that mostly a non-issue.

LetterRip

joeri

Post by joeri »

LetterRip wrote:render to png on linux then convert to your prefered output format on windows.

However ffmpeg support is coming soon (after 2.41) which should make that mostly a non-issue.

LetterRip
Doesn't that depend on what you use for making flv?
We use sparx and that pretty much only takes qt. And I thought ffmpeg did not make qt nor flv...

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

could be... I'm not well versed in output formats - perhaps instead of non-issue just a lesser issue...

LetterRip

Jacks_Depression

I use the offical Macromedia encoder.
It accepts...
*.asf; *.avi; *.dv; *.mov; *.mp4; *.mpeg; *.wmv

joeri, having the .flv extention does not mean it has flv conpression. Only the on2 encoder makes it 100% flash compatable.
- Bryan

joeri

Post by joeri »

If it accepts mpeg then you can use ffmpeg to render to mpeg (lossy) in blender 2.42 (might take a while till release).

I thought you could render to uncompressed avi under linux (did not try this myself, maybe someone can confirm).

We use sorenson squeeze to compress to flash compatible flv.

btw. Maya lets me even render vector renderings, we did some nice 3d vectors for philips design. Ofcourse you could use swift 3d to convert a blender seq to vector.

LetterRip: For web embedded video I believe flash to be the best solution, it's installed on most machines and plays back video in the page, without installing extra plug-ins. And video playback is an issue, we want people to see what we make :)

Jacks_Depression

Includes Sorenson Spark Pro codec and supports the On2 VP6 Pro Encoder plugin (Sold seperately)
Did you buy the codec? I highly reccomend you do if you have not! I also compleatly agree that flash is the best way to put multi-media on the web. Sadly though, the only I have only seen blender video in quicktime.

I was thinking... if linux supports avi (thats what I gather so far). I would modly likely do uncompressed video. Why do I have to wait till 2.42 though??
- Bryan

UncleZeiv

Post by UncleZeiv »

joeri wrote:I thought you could render to uncompressed avi under linux (did not try this myself, maybe someone can confirm).
Of course you can. And it takes that disk space :) I usually compress them afterwards with mencoder, so this is definitely not an issue for me (I'd rather compress it myself anyway).

joeri

Post by joeri »

Jacks_Depression wrote:Why do I have to wait till 2.42 though??
You don't. Go for uncompressed linux avi and do the compression to flv from that. Specially since linux rendering seems so much faster.

I imagine compression in blender can be handy as an extension to the seq editor, but I would never render to lossy compressed images. So it takes a little diskspace, so what?
The workflow we have is rendering to lossless compressed images (png) to spare network bandwith, and then create a mov in the correct size (pixels) to give to the flv compressor... But this is also because we never use the render output directly, but always color correct and edit it.

But I'm not sure if you really would want two OS's on a workstation. It does mean that you can't do any 'work' while rendering. Or do any rendering during 'work'. You'd come in at work at the morning seeing your render still needs another 2 hours,... what are you going to do? Reboot to win? Wait 2 hours? Or use open office? Did you consider that? Or did I get it all wrong and are you going to 'switch' to linux and just do the flv compression is win?