Bigger viewing limits

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Robin

Bigger viewing limits

Post by Robin » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:45 pm

A great feuture would be if it was possble to do bigger projects. not only 1000 (something) you know the thing you can edit in the view properties. I am doing a city with a medium level of details and then I have to do it pretty big.

Robin.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:48 pm

your city is over two kilometers and you need precision down to the millimeter?

Robin

Post by Robin » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:26 am

Nah maybe not milimeter details but I need to do windows, doors, doorhandles and planks.

xand

Post by xand » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:55 pm

in edit mode, you can model as big as need and scale down the object to the requested size.

+++

jfarm

Post by jfarm » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:17 am

xand wrote:in edit mode, you can model as big as need and scale down the object to the requested size.
+++
I have done that to good effect, but you can run into problems since Blender uses single-precision floating point. It seemed when the camera was far from the origin, there was some trouble rendering small details of nearby objects. I suspected this was due to precision limits. In simple terms, to get the distance between the camera and a nearby object, the positions must be subtracted. Since they are far from the origin, this requires subtracting one large number from another, which results in a loss of precision. I'd have to slog through the transformation matrices used to do this to see if this is what really happens, but I suspect it does. At any rate, things seemed to work better if I kept the camera near the origin and moved the world around it, instead of moving the camera around in the world.

The other problem I ran into was resolution limits with the z-buffer causing things to disappear behind my ground plane in some frames of my animation. (See the thread "Feature Request: negative zoffset")

Robin

Post by Robin » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:14 pm

xand wrote:in edit mode, you can model as big as need and scale down the object to the requested size.

+++
I do that too. But it's harder to navigate through it if it so small.

kisolre

Post by kisolre » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:44 pm

Create big object, duplicate linked (Alt+D), Move duplicated object to hidden layer, scale original object as desired. When editing needed, edit duplicated object at fullsize... But I personally would like to see wide limits in every aspect. Model to 10^n (n=1/10..10) units, large precision, ... no limits if they are not hardware :)