Quit Blender

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

wnunes

Quit Blender

Post by wnunes »

When we close blender, to ask if wish save, cancel or close without save.

malCanDo

Post by malCanDo »

hehe, I agree with this, but many don't.

Remember, expert Blender users don't make mistakes, and accidently quit the app :)

This should definitely be in as an option, and turned on by default.

Prepare for a lot of replies stating otherwise!
Mal

Jacks_Depression

Post by Jacks_Depression »

make it optional
- Bryan

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

and what if the user hits the close button?

were you aware of the "recover last session" option?... as in quitting will always save if blender's properly configured.

malCanDo

Post by malCanDo »

> were you aware of the "recover last session" option?.

That'll be the one beside the "show alert on exit" option in 2.41 ;)

Mal

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

recover last session (in the file menu) is pretty unreliable...

LetterRip

Jacks_Depression

Post by Jacks_Depression »

LetterRip wrote:recover last session (in the file menu) is pretty unreliable...
Agree! Sometimes it recovers 3 or 4 sessions back :)
- Bryan

joeri

Post by joeri »

Okay,...

What about this: it saves (overwite) the file just before it quits.

UncleZeiv

Post by UncleZeiv »

Programs should never overwrite files silently. Actually I would like to complain also about overwrite of rendered images: if you are not carefule, hours of rendering can be lost without even issuing a warning. So ok, it's my fault in the end, but can't Blender help me?

wnunes

Post by wnunes »

Ok...

It has possibilities of have or not? :!:

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

probably won't happen, but I will see if I can eliminate QKEY as quit and only allow CTRL-QKEY - but no promises - Ton is very protective of keys he use lots....

LetterRip

joeri

Post by joeri »

It's useless to have a "Do you want to save?" question.
YOU need to remember if you want to save or not in ANY case.

Now,... "darn, I quit and forgot to save, better take what I do more serious and save ones in a while".

Then,... "Euh,... I don't know,... Did I alter stuff to the better?"

Saving your work needs to be part of your workflow!!! Not something you happen to do when quiting the app.
See it this way: Why are you quiting blender in the first place? just load your default file and leave it open. It's a far more important program then your clock or msm or irc or ... and you don't close that all the time.

roofoo

Post by roofoo »

Joeri: I agree with your points. However--it is a user interface convention to ask if you want to save before closing. Practically every application I've ever used has this as a feature. True, it's up to the user to save, but as human beings we all are prone to mistakes. The interface should be designed in such a way that it conforms to what people are used to. I highly suggest that you read the book "Don't Make Me Think" by Steve Krug...

And to appease those who don't want to be asked to save, it can be a toggle option in the preferences settings. Seriously, I think it's a great idea.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

roofoo wrote:The interface should be designed in such a way that it conforms to what people are used to. I highly suggest that you read the book "Don't Make Me Think" by Steve Krug...
You're making the assumption that what people expect is the best approach. [for example: a "paste" option doesn't make as much sense in a 3d application as a way to copy objects [though one would presume they'd show up at the 3d cursor]] However in this case it might be true

there is already a confirm on quit... I'd rather not see another prompt there though, or another default. I'd much rather see control+q become the quit combination [it is on at least the text editor already]

roofoo

Post by roofoo »

z3r0_d wrote:there is already a confirm on quit... I'd rather not see another prompt there though, or another default. I'd much rather see control+q become the quit combination [it is on at least the text editor already]
Actually there is only a confirm if you quit by pressing 'q' or clicking Quit on the File menu. But if you close Blender by clicking X on the window header, there is not a prompt at all.... That is a discrepancy that can be confusing to the users.