Quit Blender

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:52 am

roofoo wrote:
z3r0_d wrote:there is already a confirm on quit... I'd rather not see another prompt there though, or another default. I'd much rather see control+q become the quit combination [it is on at least the text editor already]
Actually there is only a confirm if you quit by pressing 'q' or clicking Quit on the File menu. But if you close Blender by clicking X on the window header, there is not a prompt at all.... That is a discrepancy that can be confusing to the users.
so you're saying there should be a "do you want to save" option when you hit blender's close button?

well... where on the screen are you going to put it? [taking your cursor off the dialog corresponds to not quitting... which will then give you the windows "Blender is not responding, End now, or wait 30 seconds..." thingy]

William

Post by William » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:14 pm

Since it only has to ask if you have NOT saved, like other apps, it does NOT get in the way of users who have just saved.

This means it wouldn't even get in the way for save-junkies like joeri. ;)

Seriously, this feature would hurt noone. On the contrary, it might mean new users have a better experience with Blender.

And on the question of where to put the message: How about the center of the screen? Or the center of the main 3D window perhaps.

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:27 pm

My POV is that if someone doesn't care enough to think before clicking that little X, he has problems that a confirm box can't solve.

roofoo

Post by roofoo » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:49 am

roofoo wrote:Actually there is only a confirm if you quit by pressing 'q' or clicking Quit on the File menu. But if you close Blender by clicking X on the window header, there is not a prompt at all.... That is a discrepancy that can be confusing to the users.
Hmm, I guess I am wrong. Clicking Quit on the File menu just closes Blender immediately, with no prompt at all! Only by pressing Q can I get a "OK?" prompt. Talk about inconsistencies!

Jacks_Depression

Post by Jacks_Depression » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:37 am

-efbie- wrote:My POV is that if someone doesn't care enough to think before clicking that little X, he has problems that a confirm box can't solve.
Well said... you mind if I steal that and post it somewhere?
- Bryan

KouOuKen

Post by KouOuKen » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:30 am

I would also like to ask that quitting the program require confirmation (enabled by DEFAULT!). In other areas blender already requires a double-confirmation for certain tasks. Try using the save function under File>Save ... it requires an extra confirmation just to re-save a file, whereas File>Quit (or using the "X") exits immediately. This doesn't make sense to me.

Blender will eventually be the most customizable, user-oriented and user-driven 3d modeler out there, but little quirks like these are still causing people grief. (some of us more often than others! :lol: )
-KouOuKen

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:19 am

KouOuKen wrote:I would also like to ask that quitting the program require confirmation (enabled by DEFAULT!). In other areas blender already requires a double-confirmation for certain tasks. Try using the save function under File>Save ... it requires an extra confirmation just to re-save a file, whereas File>Quit (or using the "X") exits immediately. This doesn't make sense to me.
the close button doesn't have a confirmation because blender doesn't use standard dialogs, so you'd need a nonstandard dialog or there would be no way to confirm quitting [because the cursor when it re-enters the window would be off of the quit confirm, canceling the quit action].

joeri

Post by joeri » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:29 pm

Use a batch to start blender windowless and you wouln't have the annoying [x]. And gives you an extra 24 pixels instead of the name of the program you are running.