Blender for windows console (dos) window?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:43 pm

If you *really* want to get rid of the console window, you could recompile Blender and make sure it links against the WINDOWS subsystem and not the CONSOLE one. If you compile with SCons you can modify win32-vc-config.py[1][2] by changing PLATFORM_LINKFLAGS properly.

You won't be able to get any potentially helpful output from ie. scripts. Since manuals tell to look at console output in cases of problems, we provide blender builds with console.

/Nathan

[1] config/win32-vc-config.py
[2] naturally, you don't directly modify the platform defaults, but you make a copy of it to user-config.py. See the documentation

joeri

Post by joeri » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:05 pm

I'm sorry.

The python print outs in the console are just Very Very Silly

They should appear in a message window inside blender, this should have been implemented 5 years ago!
Just because of Lazy developers ( sorry daniel, not you ) who don't understand that blender USERS set blender to fullscreen because they want to see as MUCH 3D as possible and as less text as possible...

An internal printout window could bring lots of advantages beyond the error messages...
(think big stats of polycounts and memory usage, progress on exort, friendly messages on script running, and extended help on everything)
Anyway,.... Yes it is very easy for developers to get rid of the console, at NaN we had the console been hidden after startup because it was just to silly to have a game with an extra console. A user option is very much in place here,... but only after the blender message window is in place. ( I still can't believe there is no hacker that implemented a console window in blender ).

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:01 pm

joeri wrote:(think big stats of polycounts and memory usage, progress on exort, friendly messages on script running, and extended help on everything)
have you never seen the info header?

you know that part where it says the blender version? it's trivial to put a progress bar there that says what the script is doing and how much it has completed

gabio

Post by gabio » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:02 am

z3r0_d wrote:
joeri wrote:(think big stats of polycounts and memory usage, progress on exort, friendly messages on script running, and extended help on everything)

you know that part where it says the blender version? it's trivial to put a progress bar there that says what the script is doing and how much it has completed
I think joeri already know the header very well. But what he meant was: getting even more information, like a log.

Netspider

Post by Netspider » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:57 am

http://republika.pl/roed/noconsole/ - a little program that removes the console. Just modify the shortcut to be like

noconsole.exe blender.exe. Works like a charm (and not just for blender).

Enjoy!

joeri

Post by joeri » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:28 pm

z3r0_d wrote:

Information, not a telegramm.

Examples:

========== On loading

// mental ray Node Factory: loaded
// parsing C:/Program Files/Alias/Maya7.0/mentalray/include/base.mi
// generating Maya nodes...
// parsing C:/Program Files/Alias/Maya7.0/mentalray/include/contour.mi
// parsing C:/Program Files/Alias/Maya7.0/mentalray/include/paint.mi
// parsing C:/Program Files/Alias/Maya7.0/mentalray/include/physics.mi
// parsing C:/Program Files/Alias/Maya7.0/mentalray/include/subsurface.mi
// mental ray for Maya: successfully registered
// Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'Dirtmap1'; preserving node information during this session. //
// File read in 2 seconds.

========== On loading with lib links

\\LibDir\MyMaterials\Gold.blend not found
\\LibDir\MyMaterials\Iron.blend not found
\\LibDir\MyObjetcs\AllObjects.blend -> OB:Cutetable not found
\\LibDir\MyObjetcs\AllObjects.blend -> ME:Cube.002 not found

========== On autosave

12:03 - 06 July 2006 - c:\temp\15044.blend backup saved...

========== On render start

mental ray for blender 2.40
mental ray: version 3.4.5.2, 06 July 2005
mental ray: got 2 satellite CPUs.
IMG 0.4 warn 102005: image file ...LO/04800521_3_STAP_BROCH/MAYA/sourceimages/kitchen_probe.map cannot be mapped, it isn't prefiltered
IMG 0.4 warn 102008: image file ...LO/04800521_3_STAP_BROCH/MAYA/sourceimages/kitchen_probe.map cannot be cached, it isn't prefiltered

========== On remove doubles

Removed 2283 double verteces

========== Warnings

Warning: Render view: Selected region is too small

// Warning: Mesh shape cube.001 has no triangles in tessellation. //

========== Extended tool tips

Tutorial on extrude can be found here:
http://www.blender3d.org/wiki/extrude.html

========== File cleanup & 0 Users remover

Optimize Scene Size Summary:
----------------------------
- Removed 0 invalid NURBS curves and surfaces
- Removed 0 unused constraints
- Removed 0 unused pairBlends
- Removed 0 unused deformers
- Removed 0 unused skin influences
- Removed 8 unused groupID nodes
- Removed 0 unused animation curves
- Removed 0 unused snapshot nodes
- Removed 0 unused unit conversion nodes
- Removed 44 unused rendering nodes
- Removed 3 empty display layers

Scene optimized

========== Etc...

You want to put all this in the header?

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:42 pm

joeri wrote:You want to put all this in the header?
most of it, yes

noticications like "removed 328 verticies" or "stone_wall.mtl not found" work best as popups somewhat like they are now, but a progress bar "Loading vertices from .obj" "making faces" "tesselating ngons" or whatever is what the info header is meant for

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:20 pm

z3r0_d wrote:noticications like "removed 328 verticies" or "stone_wall.mtl not found" work best as popups
It doesn't work well as a popup at all! I can't stand stuff like that popping up and getting in my way. Joeri is totally right, we need a proper log window and error/warning message handling system (especially for Python) and we have for a long time.

A good idea would be a status line a la wings, that can give hints on hidden modifier keys, and also display errors and status info. It could be a window type so that the text is printed in the header, and a log scrolled up in the window itself.

A few older mockups of how such a thing could possibly work:
http://mke3.net/blender/interface/inter ... oopcut.png
http://mke3.net/blender/interface/inter ... _error.png

(moved this thread to interface & tools btw)

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:40 pm

broken wrote:
z3r0_d wrote:noticications like "removed 328 verticies" or "stone_wall.mtl not found" work best as popups
It doesn't work well as a popup at all! I can't stand stuff like that popping up and getting in my way. Joeri is totally right, we need a proper log window and error/warning message handling system (especially for Python) and we have for a long time.

A good idea would be a status line a la wings, that can give hints on hidden modifier keys, and also display errors and status info. It could be a window type so that the text is printed in the header, and a log scrolled up in the window itself.

A few older mockups of how such a thing could possibly work:
http://mke3.net/blender/interface/inter ... oopcut.png
http://mke3.net/blender/interface/inter ... _error.png

(moved this thread to interface & tools btw)
I totally agree with you and joeri, a new message windowspace would be really welcome.
and those popups are really annoying, i removed them in my blender version.

jbinto

The Solution

Post by jbinto » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:13 am

I started the following thread on bf-comitters without seeing this thread. I think my solution should please everybody and please let me know if otherwise or with any new ideas. I will try to put builds on my site soon for people to try it out.

http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/b ... 14198.html

Also see:

http://jb-online.net/?p=4

jbinto

Blender Console Output Window Update

Post by jbinto » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:54 pm

I’ve made some progress with this.

1. Finished theming of the window (black BG, white text, blue select, red error). Let me know what you think.
2. Added a hotkey Ctrl-Shift-F11 (Text window is Shift-F11 so I thought it may be a good choice.
3. Made specific header buttons for the Console Output (it was using the Text Window functionality before).
4. Cleaned up the code a lot (I am now willing to show it ;) )

Here is a screen capture as well as downloads of the Windows build and sources.

http://jb-online.net/?p=7

fobsta

Re: Blender Console Output Window Update

Post by fobsta » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:03 pm

Hi

The console window only updates after the script has finished or the GameEngine has stopped?

The standard shell/console ouput window can output stuff whilst the GameEngine is running. Very useful to debug games.

Any chance of your new console window doing this?

thanks in advance

poutsa

Post by poutsa » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:08 pm

Yeah! Thanks for this Windows Build.jbinto!
Looks very good!

but i also agree with fobsta wrote:
The console window only updates after the script has finished or the GameEngine has stopped?

The standard shell/console ouput window can output stuff whilst the GameEngine is running. Very useful to debug games.

Any chance of your new console window doing this?

jbinto

Post by jbinto » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:21 pm

Makes sense.

Should be totally possilbe, just a redraw in the event queue somewhere, I'll add it to my TODO's.

FastEddy

Post by FastEddy » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:06 am

ARRG leave the console alone and wish you know how to use it someday
Indeed. I agree with that. Learn to like it!

1. This console windows is just very useful. The first thing I do, when an error (or something weird I think it could be an error) happens, is to have a look at the console. And in most cases this is the place where I find out, what things are going on (or wrong).

2. I personally think, when you have problems with desktop or taskbar space only because one little additional console window appears, then you should get a bigger screen soon... (btw: windows allows you to make the taskbar iconizing smaller, so you can put more items into the damned taskbar)

FastEddy
[D X I . s t u d i o s] --- [ Join my current project: SF2 Intro-Animation ]