Why not animate z-transparency

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

grimey

Why not animate z-transparency

Post by grimey »

I must be missing something since I can't understand why z-transparency cannot be animated (i.e., connected to an IPO). What is it?

sparkus

Post by sparkus »

Well, you can animate the alpha value of your material. Just move your mouse over the alpha slider and press "i", then select Alpha. An IPO curve for your alpha channel will be created. To see the new curve, go to the IPO editor and select "Material", instead of "Object".

ZTrans is just for enabling or disabling IF z-transparency will be calculated at all.

hth,
spark.

grimey

Post by grimey »

I understand how the alpha works, that's not the issue. With 100% alpha background objects show through if z-transparency is on. I've discovered that this issue is gone using the unified render, although the unified render crashes blender unless one uses RGBA.

So, my first question is can objects be transparent and opaque at the same time? My second question is why even include the blender render?

I would also ask could someone could fix my bug tracker account. I've been trying for days to get in, even sent email to the admin, no luck.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

grimey wrote:So, my first question is can objects be transparent and opaque at the same time?
what? have a non-opaque alpha but occlude completely what is behind them? no... that doesn't make any sense

grimey wrote:My second question is why even include the blender render?
because it's adequate and fast.

grimey

Post by grimey »

what? have a non-opaque alpha but occlude completely what is behind them? no... that doesn't make any sense
I know it doesn't, that's why I'm posting in the forum. It's real easy to try too. I'm using the native "stars" background, maybe that's where the problem is at. I've heard others having trouble with halo textures showing through.
because it's adequate and fast.
Right, it is. It's faster than the unified renderer too. But it behaves differently from the unified renderer, especially in regards to alpha and z-transparencies. Surely, the developers are aware of this?

sparkus

Post by sparkus »

I think, now I understand what your problem is!

If you activate the builtin stars background, activate zTranps, the stars will shine through objects even if they have 1.0 alpha! Although they should be occluded. The same happens, if you create a halo BEHIND an opaque object. The halo will shine through.

To fix it, normally you use Unified Renderer. And on your system Unified Rendering crashes when not using RGBA? This seems to be kind of a bug, since I don't have that problem. I rendered a test scene in BW, RGB, RGBA... No problems... It didn't crash.

grimey

Post by grimey »

yep, that's it. Now if I could just get into the bug tracker LOL. All of the Blender sites are kinda wacky that way...with no email, I mean.