Constraints -Local Settings and Negative influence

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

[kothe]

Constraints -Local Settings and Negative influence

Post by [kothe] »

I have started to use constraints to animate some objects and it's realy a powerful tool. BUT, It's sad that you only are able to set the some settings global. If I for example would like to animate a couple of gearwheels, I would like to be able to connect them all to the same empty but give the half of them a negative influence ( -1 ) and be able to put them in a ring around the x-axis but still want them to react around there local y-axis.

A'm I making a clear point here or do I need to post some images?

//Kothe

ROUBAL

Negatives constraints and Local/global choice

Post by ROUBAL »

I totally agree with you.

I'm pleased to read that I'm not alone with my wish! :D

I have exactly the same request since I have started to use blender 3 years ago...

Here is what I have posted on Blenderartists some times ago:
Hi !
I have a wish for a little thing that I have asked for, for a very long time. It seems simple but has not yet been included :
Adding Negative constraints to Copy Rotation and Copy Location constraints.
3 more small buttons with -X -Y -Z...
They would be very usefull in many animations for the poor non-coders like me !
One more button for the choice Local/Global, usable for objects would be great , because now we have to use one bone as parent for an object if we want to use a local axis constraint on this object, and it is not handy.
Being able to have on objects the same control as on bones would be a good thing.
For example for gear wheels at 90°...
But as bones use Quaternions for rotation instead of XYZ coordinates, I don't know if this can be easily done for objects...

I have never been able to write a single line in Python, and I have often to add a lot of empties and extra bones to achieve a result that could be got with a simple button.I have only programmed few things in Quick Basic about 20 years ago, but I guess that creating negative constraints would only need to copy some lines and add a negative sign somewhere...

I hope that somewhere, a god of coding will hear me !o)
Thank you in advance !
Philippe.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

contact aligorith - he probably would be willing and able to add such...

LetterRip

ROUBAL

Negative constraints

Post by ROUBAL »

Thanks LetterRip !