Feature request: hair guides

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

aws357

Feature request: hair guides

Post by aws357 »

I've been trying the particle hair lately. And although it is a great feature, I think there might be place for improvement...

First of all, here is an excellent tutorial for styling particle hairs (but it is a tutorial for LW plugins "sasquatch")

http://www.worley.com/TutFiles/StuTut/index.htm

The guy did an incredible job. But the sheer number of curves he has to use is making it a daunting task. I will try his method, but I am sure I will have sore eyes by the end of the day...

That's when I thought of a possible way to style hair with something else than curves.

Instead of using a lot of curves, why not use a mesh to constrain hairs in a given conformation? A containment mesh... It's difficult to explain by words... so here is an image I "simulated".

The top part of the image show the current method. Efficient but I still think it lacks control...
The bottom part show what I think could improve the hairstyler experience... The containment mesh plays the same role as a lattice, but for the particles... By modifying the mesh, one can modify the aspect of the hair strand... Particulary useful for hair bangs like these:

To achieve this result with a containment mesh is easy...
while you have to add more curves to have more control with the current method...

I think it would add an extra edge to blender, plus I don't think big commercial softwares offer such an option...

:roll: It sounded good for me at 2.00am this morning... I hope I am not having a stupid idea...

LeiGet

Post by LeiGet »

One way to do the pointy tip of hair-bundle thing is to use multiple hair guides, put the way you want it.

aws357

Post by aws357 »

LeiGet wrote:One way to do the pointy tip of hair-bundle thing is to use multiple hair guides, put the way you want it.
:? That's the core of the problem...
Read the tutorial... the more curve you add, the more guidance to your hair you add... But look at the number of curves the guy added to achieve a perfectly controlled hair style?? I think he could be patient enough to make the hairs one by one...

Imagine if a mesh could serve as a containment field for the particle, just make a poly object that has roughly the shape you want for the hair...
Model a hair bang, and fill it with particles... in a sense...

In fact, you replace the multiple curves by a single mesh.

tommy

Post by tommy »

I'm not sure, but perhaps using a lattice could work?

aws357

Post by aws357 »

tommy wrote:I'm not sure, but perhaps using a lattice could work?
Well... in the essence, it is some kind of lattice for particle...

:shock: Does lattice deform particles? I doubt so... I will try at home... but lattice are intended for poly, not for physic entities... :shock:

:roll: And even if it does so, lattice are not practical because they are cube cube cube...

What I propose is to use a customized mesh to do the deformation...

I will try and detail my idea when I get back home... It would be so cool if it could be done... In fact it would make the whole long hair combing a lot more easier and cast the curves guide into oblivion :)

OMG look at that :shock: these are not particle hair... these are the actual curve guide... The author might as well do the hair himself using his curves :P.

levon

Post by levon »

aws357 wrote: Well... in the essence, it is some kind of lattice for particle...

:shock: Does lattice deform particles? I doubt so... I will try at home... but lattice are intended for poly, not for physic entities... :shock:
yes they do work for particles.
aws357 wrote: :roll: And even if it does so, lattice are not practical because they are cube cube cube...
both of your example pics are done with cubes.

another think you could do is add a sphere field to the end of teh hair, to atract or spread the particles

aws357

Post by aws357 »

:roll: here is how I would imagine doing hairs... (imagining an hypothetical tutorial)

step1 create a basic mesh:
step2 build something looking like hair bangs:
step3 :
step4:
step5 select a face and make it a particle emitter:
step6 enjoy your hairs. Simpler than doing a whole bunch of curve no?:
step7 now let's try something harder...:
step8:
step9 same thing as in step 5...:
step10 ...See? Total control over these pesky particles...:

:? I hope I made myself more understandable that way...
From what I gathered here, it could be implemented with ease (well I just suppose...)
It already exist in a certain way in Blender (lattice deform, emmiter)

It's just that I think it would make it easier to generate long hairs.

:D I would have tried to do it myself, but I couldn't code anything in C even if my own life was at stake...

aws357

Post by aws357 »

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/ ... t_progress

A thanksgiving prayer for the person who develop this...
O God, when I have free 3D,
help me to remember the flexLM;
When I have opensource,
help me to remember the corporatists;
When I have a community,
help me to remember those who have no support at all;
When I am without pain,
help me to remember those whose eyes are sore,
When I work with Blender,
help me to remember those who develop it,
And remembering,
help me to destroy my complacency;
bestir my compassion,
and be concerned enough to help;
By word and deed,
those who cry out for what we take for granted.
Amen.