Feature Request : Viewport sensitive background images.

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

M@dcow

Feature Request : Viewport sensitive background images.

Post by M@dcow »

Hey folks,

Im currently working on a car modeling video tutorial that highlights a lot of blenders new features....Im hoping this will make a good workflow guide and a good source of information for people migrating from other apps.

So, to the problem; As it stands now I have to have two viewports open, one displaying the top blueprint, and the other the side. At no point can I switch views, because If I did that the plans would not match my model.

What would be extremely cool is if you could have a specific image for the front, Top and side view, and have blender automatically switch when you change view. Not only would this make it a lot quicker to model, but it would also mean that you could model only using one main 3d viewport.

Bagration

Post by Bagration »

M@dcow, have you tried UV-mapped planes?
http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 213#306218

They are harder to set up, but do give the result you want.

M@dcow

Post by M@dcow »

Hey Bagration:

Yeah, I have tried uvmapped planes, but to be honest, they are a pain in the ass to use :wink:

You have to pretty much view your model in wireframe mode all the time, and it's very hard to spot things like when the normals need recalculating. All in all, it's a bad idea for a video tutorial.

I'm assuming that this would be very easy for a coder to hack in, and it would make the life of every architect and anyone else who models from blueprints so much easier.

ufazolarekh

Post by ufazolarekh »

Once you have the tutorial done, let me know please. I am totally fastinated!
Ufazola Rekh

macouno

Post by macouno »

Indeed it would be really lovely if it were possible to set different images for each view in the 3d window.

Perhaps though it'd be even better if the images would stay in view (transparent) when you rotate through it.

So maybe it'd be a better idea to make it possible to have semi transparent UV textured faces??? Or even make it an option to either "only display from a certain view" or "always display"

BgDM

Post by BgDM »

I would have to agree on this one myself. This would be a very good feature to add, as it is in alot of other apps currently.

To make good use of proper references, especially for cars, etc., this is a must have option.

I can't see this is being that difficult to add on.

BgDM
Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol.

M@dcow

Post by M@dcow »

could a coder at least give me an idea of how hard this would be to add?

I know a couple of talented coders, and I think I can get them to help as long as it doesn't prove too hard to do..

thanks in advance.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

It shouldn't be difficult to add, email bf-committers possibly or bf-funboard and someone might be able to point to where to look in the code.

LetterRip

joeri

Post by joeri »

M@dcow wrote:could a coder at least give me an idea of how hard this would be to add?
It's a GUI / Blender dna File issue.
The thing is very easy to program, if you put a texture on the backimage you can walk truw an anim of front-side-top on frames 1,2,3. So connecting an anim to F-S-T should be piece of cake.
But once you want to put 3 images in the blender file then you would need 2 more backbuf buttons (or 5 for all directions) and you would need to store them in the blender file, I don't know how many blender dna experts are out there.

Feature I think is long overdue. Large group should benefit; character modelers and architects (both very present in the blender community).

(btw. m@dcow, with the edit button you can change your post, some parts seem accidentally red.)